Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#24488 - 08/18/00 04:00 PM Sea Kayaking
lmarquis Offline
While in A.C. this coming November, I want to try kayaking. I read something somewhere about kayaking in the lagoon where all the mangroves are. Has anyone done it, opinions, or is it better to kayak out in the ocean?

#24489 - 08/18/00 08:33 PM Re: Sea Kayaking
calchick Offline
It is really lovely kayaking in the lagoon because of all the wildlife. It's very serene without the constant hum of boat engines that you hear when kayaking on the sea. Seaduced has some great kayak guides. The only thing I didn't like is their kayaks are the sit-on-top type. On the beach, a little south of the Yacht Club, there's an older man that lives in an RV and rents sea kayaks for about $15BZ for several hours. Hope this helps... have a BLAST!

#24490 - 08/18/00 09:17 PM Re: Sea Kayaking
i will be doing it this week as i am staying right there at journeys end (leave tomorrow). i will let you know in about 10 days! see ya!

#24491 - 08/20/00 01:35 PM Re: Sea Kayaking
Laguna Punta Offline
By all means, lagoon it. And don't get in a race. Glide gently along the shore line. The bird life is really good on the lagoon. We got Great Blue Huron, Ospry, Egrets and all sorts of guys fishing there. If your fortunate enough ta run up on a Great Blue Huron, that guy is worth some serious study. That guy doesn't move unless there is a reason, and when he does move, there is absolutely no wasted motion. Their my hero.
Gone fishing!!

#24492 - 08/21/00 01:12 PM Re: Sea Kayaking
Jonathan Offline
Just returned last night, got in both lagoon and ocean paddling. Stayed at Journey's End, so no concern of getting run-down like in town. They have some bouys to tie off at reef which is a 10 minute paddle. Highly recommend lagoon anytime time really but, early is best.
Have fun,

#24493 - 08/24/00 01:11 PM Re: Sea Kayaking
lmarquis Offline
Looks like we will "lagoon it". Hope to see a blue heron - that would be cool! Thanks everyone!

#24494 - 08/27/00 12:45 PM Re: Sea Kayaking
hi - i saw jonathan there at journeys end too! we did the kayak from there and tied up at that bouy and the snorkel was great! need lotsa arm strength out there but can almost drift back. the next day my friends saw a baracuda and large grouper at same bouy spot off JE resort. i even saw an anemone. the lagoon trip was out for us due to the OVERWHELMING MOSQUITO PROBLEM THIS YEAR. apparently, i picked the worst in 10 years mosquito year.
anyway the kayak is fun and worth a go. you can bike or golf cart it to JE if you want.

#24495 - 08/27/00 12:52 PM Re: Sea Kayaking
oh, two ps's...the mosquito season should be over by then (hope for you) and a blue heron hangs out at the end of the JE beach right next to the v ball court, saw it everyday. if you are into that (as i VERY much am), i also saw, many frigate birds, cormarants, egrets, pelicans, seagulls, ospreys, fish birds, hummingbirds, iguanas, skinks, 5 kinds of crabs, etc., etc., all without leaving the beach there. it is far enough from the bustle of town that the nature is right there undisturbed, very natural. loved it.

#24496 - 08/29/00 02:01 PM Re: Sea Kayaking
lmarquis Offline
Thanks Jane: I hope the skeeters are not bad. I am trying the Vitamin B6 method along with deet (will head to Walmart ASAP!). I definitely will go to JE and look for Mr. Blue Heron (and have a Belikin while I am at it).

#24497 - 08/29/00 02:12 PM Re: Sea Kayaking
HolleyinColorado Offline
What is the vitamin b6 method? Is it supposed to help keep mosquito's at bay? I am leaving for AC 9-1. Thanks for the info!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,633 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,706 Topics
461,226 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.