Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
night dive jr. 009.jpg
sleeping with head under a rock belly up?
Other images in post
Image Details
Poster elbert Offline
Posted 08/15/07 07:54 PM
Description
If your wondering this is a female shark
Dimensions 640x468
Size 115.17 KB
UBBCode
Thumbnail
Medium
Full

Comments
#245105 - 08/15/07 09:02 PM Re: sleeping with head under a rock belly up? [Re: elbert]
elbert Offline
They seem to be like and ostrich about sticking their head in holes but first time I've seem one belly up.

#245107 - 08/15/07 09:10 PM Re: sleeping with head under a rock belly up? [Re: elbert]
Dita Offline
I just watched a special on either National Geographic or Discovery Channel talking about sharks in that position are virtually out of it, literally. They performed a small surgery to implant a sort of GPS device on a small lemon shark and the thing never moved when they made the opening to implant it or stictch it up. Amazing.

#245113 - 08/15/07 11:00 PM Re: sleeping with head under a rock belly up? [Re: Dita]
elbert Offline
Yes i do belive that upside down for them has some effect of calm.
but this is a bad position to be in for her if a male passes and notices ,or perhaps not?

#245116 - 08/15/07 11:52 PM Re: sleeping with head under a rock belly up? [Re: elbert]
collyk Offline
Elbert what a great picture. Absolutely fascinating. I'd love to hear more about that behaviour.

#245120 - 08/16/07 12:21 AM Re: sleeping with head under a rock belly up? [Re: collyk]
elbert Offline
I was avoiding saying to much because I do on occasion flip sharks to make them docile this I'm sure is not a politically correct thing. It shuts them down they don't wiggle or squirm, it allows us to examine them more closely.
I don't know exactly what this shark had in her mind but often notice them sleeping with their head under a rock in the daytime but never belly up. I joke with other divers asking them if they know how to tell a male shark from a female and tell them to grab the tale ,flip them over and look at the bottom. But seriously this is a female she has a special set of fins around her vagina called claspers that are for the purpose of holding on to the male during intercourse....oops did i really say that?

#245146 - 08/16/07 04:04 AM Re: sleeping with head under a rock belly up? [Re: elbert]
seaexplore Offline
sweet pic!

#245174 - 08/16/07 03:02 PM Re: sleeping with head under a rock belly up? [Re: seaexplore]
elbert Offline
Emelinao gets credit for this pic he took it Tuesday night while doing some research on snapper spawning for Green Reef.

#245209 - 08/16/07 06:42 PM Re: sleeping with head under a rock belly up? [Re: elbert]
Marty Offline
really cool

#245359 - 08/18/07 03:03 AM Re: sleeping with head under a rock belly up? [Re: Marty]
seashell Offline
Any chance that nurseshark was a goner?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 34 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,006 Topics
462,170 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.