Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 112 of 113 1 2 110 111 112 113
from a friend...

It took a full day to find out exactly what the situation was on Long Caye after the hurricane passed. I am happy to report that there was almost no damage from the storm! I spoke with dive shop staff on the island last night. The island was evacuated Monday morning. They had not planned to evacuate but the storm was growing so large and not moving as far north as expected so they got worried and left. Everything was put away as best as could be and they evacuated to Dangriga. When they returned to the island by 3 pm on Tuesday they found almost no damage, just some minor clean up will be necessary. Again, thanks to everyone for your concern!

Marty #247131 08/22/07 09:20 PM
S
S
Good to hear the Lighthouse Reef Atoll stood tall during the high seas,great reporting Marty !!

People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care
S
S
Caye Management will be open today, yesterday they were tied up with cleanup as the staff had evacuated earlier in the week.

G
G
thanks so mush for the warm wishes! we are so excited that everyone made it thru the storm safely

J
J
Belizean Shores is ready for anyone coming down

John - Sent you a PM. Wondering where you are getting your info on Belizean Shores. I just spoke to a friend that lives in a house on the edge of the property - said there's no power. Heard a rumor that it might be back on by Saturday, but no promises.

T
T
Here is an update I received from Sueno del Mar. I thought others might be interested in hearing.

First & foremost, everyone staying at the resort through the storm is fine - there are no injuries. The eye of Hurricane Dean hit about 5 miles north of Sueno, so they encountered heavy wind & rain; however, the damage sustained is all minor damage - downed trees, some roof tiles blown off buildings, etc. While there is quite a bit of cleanup to do, no major damage was incurred to any of the structures, including the palapa & dock.

There were about 16 people who stayed at the resort through the storm, including the essential staff they had on hand. They all stayed on the second floor of Building 5, and according to Kevin, had a pretty good hurricane party!

Power & water were restored by 11 a.m. the next morning to the entire resort, and they are up & running. The dock held up well, having only lost the stairs and the add-on addition. It will need to be reset in places, but given that many lost their docks completely, this is minimal damage.

They expect it to take about 2 weeks to complete all cleanup; however, the resort is operating as we speak. They expect to have full staff back on site in a day or two. They are ready to accommodate members & guests who have travel plans, as the villas, palapa kitchen/bar, transportation, power & water are all operational.

The internet access is working at the resort, although phone service at the resort office is not up & running yet.

The office in town is now open again, as electricity has been restored for the most part in San Pedro. They are getting the computers and office equipment set back up, and you should be able to reach the office by phone or email if need be.

Tamster #247204 08/23/07 02:54 PM
J
J
Here is an e-mail I just received from Rose at the Belizean Shores:

"Hi Jim,
Well for now we are still out of power and hopefully it will be back very soon. The hotel will be open as long as there is access to water and electricity.
We are in town at the internet cafe trying to do some emails, but you can keep in trying your emails to see when the power will be restored again. Look forward to your response.
Best
Rose"

P
P
I too got an email message from Rose at the Belizean Shores. They will try to accommodate re-schedules - my son and I were supposed to check in today, but clearly that didn't happen. I'm hoping to fly in next Friday. Any recommendations for a substitute in the event they are booked next weekend? Many thanks. This board has been a real Godsend.

S
S
Hey all...

We're back on-line/on generator now....

all in all, coulda been a LOT worse...

Lost both docks here... restaurant is all in all a mess... resort side of the property is fine... LOT'S of trees in the back down... albeit confused, all 6 dogs, 5 cats, 2 birds and one fish are fine... one bird escaped in the aftermath... hope she finds her way back.

The resort/restaurant is now closed for the "slow season" which will give us a lot of time to get things tidied up and back looking better than ever...

Was certainly an interesting last couple days...

Jeff / Vivian

Azul Resort & Rojo Lounge

Page 112 of 113 1 2 110 111 112 113

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.