Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#24584 - 08/22/00 06:46 PM drinking the water
HolleyinColorado Offline
Are there precautions that need to be taken regarding drinking the water? The health department suggested not drinking any water other than the filtered hotel water. They also suggested not eating anything that cannot be pealed and not to have ice in your drinks. We have been given anti-malaria pills and received a hep a shot. How about precautions to take with a three year old? It was strongly suggested she get a hep a shot as toddlers are always putting objects in their mouths. What do you all think?

#24585 - 08/22/00 07:17 PM Re: drinking the water
On the island of Ambergris Caye the water served at the restaurants of San Pedro and the hotels is fine for drinking as is the ice. In regards to a baby you may still want to take precautions. I have been to San Pedro many times with no problems with the water. If you plan to go over to the main land that may be another matter esp. in the forest. Have fun.

#24586 - 08/23/00 10:27 AM Re: drinking the water
Debbie Offline
HEP shots are now even required for school entrance. I had both of my boys innoculated before we went, and was told by the doctor they would need it for school anyway.... So I was glad I did. Better safe than sorry. We ordered a couple cases of bottled water for our fridge, but not because the tap water was bad. We just wanted portable water, and the little sip spouts are so much more convenient. The San Pedro school kids get bottled water in plastic pouches, and some tours offer these to the tourists. We found them a little awkward for the kids. We made coffee in the morning with tap water and we did just fine. If you're going to be in the jungle at all, I recommend the malaria pills.

#24587 - 08/23/00 11:29 AM Re: drinking the water
Chloe Offline
We used the hotel water provided, not from the tap, and used ice from the ice machine,
no problems. The tap water tasted salty when brushing your teeth.
Personally I think your 3 year old would be better left at home, with a good care giver.
I saw a 2 yr old at our hotel, and it took
Mom Dad Grandma and a niece fully time to watch him. It will be very tiring on your child and yourselves. The sun is so hot.
Dare To Deviate

#24588 - 08/23/00 02:00 PM Re: drinking the water
HolleyinColorado Offline
Thanks for all the tips - I think I will risk having ice in my drinks! The three year old is my granddaughter so I am not the one in charge there! There is a group of 7 of us going,(family & friends)and we are meeting another group who is bringing a nanny for their three year old. I guess the nanny will have her hands full as the two children will want to be together!

#24589 - 08/23/00 10:54 PM Re: drinking the water
Marty Offline
never had a bit of trouble with the ice. restaurant water always fine...

we do buy the large bottled water when we are there for drinking at the room...

but i live in oregon and am kinda spoiled on good water...

#24590 - 08/25/00 10:49 AM Re: drinking the water
The water is fine. We usually get 10-15 gallons of the bottled water delivered to villa because we don't much care for the taste of chlorine. They use a very high concentration of chlorine at WASA which tastes unpleasant. However...if you have any whites that need washing you WILL not need any bleach. Serious, we've done it.

#24591 - 08/25/00 06:41 PM Re: drinking the water
Sunkissed Offline
And plenty of water in Oregon we do certainly have. Hey Marty I'm from Oregon as well and taking my first trip to Belize in March 2001. It seems like such a long time to wait but I guess there's something to say for anticipation.

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,711 Topics
461,241 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.