Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#246879 08/21/07 10:16 PM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Just a quick note here to update those of you trying to get news from Corozal in the wake of Hurricane Dean.

Landfall was at or near Majahual, Mexico, sometime around 2 a.m. Tuesday morning, August 21, with sustained wind speeds of 165 mph and projected storm surge between 10 and 18 feet. Chetumal was somewhat protected by the eastern landmass, although it still experienced very high winds, heavy rains, and some street flooding; Corozal fortunately was on the easier south side of the storm. It's estimated that wind speeds in Corozal were at least 80 m.p.h., and possibly as high as 100 m.p.h.

The eye of Hurricane Dean at landfall, image from the Weather Channel.

As of Tuesday evening, the electricity in Corozal is still out, and likely to be out for at least another 48 hours. And the majority of the telephone lines came down in the storm, so email and land-line telephone communications are pretty much out. However, oddly enough, Belize cell phone communications are still working. So until their cell phone batteries die, you can contact people that way.

If you urgently need to contact American friends or relatives in the area, the American Embassy representative in Corozal, Loreta Randall, has a generator and an intact Internet satellite dish with functioning email: 22palms (at) hughes (dot) net . This should only be used in case of an emergency; otherwise, I recommend patience until communication services are restored.

I've not heard of any serious injuries in Corozal from the storm. There was, however, significant property damage from the high winds. My husband -- who's there visiting his folks, what timing! -- reports that almost all of the trees in Corozal are down. From north of College Hill, he can see all the way to the bay, a view that used to be blocked by all the trees. The BDF -- Belize's army -- are already in town with machetes, chopping and clearing the debris from streets and power lines.

Mark and his family, including sister Vikki and her one-month-old baby Amber, are safe & sound, along with 15 people from their neighborhood who spent the night in the living room of Patti's new house.

Since the prevailing storm winds were out of the west in Corozal, the storm surge in Corozal Bay was minimal, said to be less than 2 feet. I'm told that flooding is NOT a problem in Corozal, contrary to the Weather Channel's evening report.

The worst property damage in the "gringo community" that I've heard of was to Gregg & Connie's house, my former next-door neighbors and owners of the Copa Banana Bed and Breakfast. As far as I know their hotel is intact, but the palapa roof of their home collapsed. Next door to them, Jim & Melanie's enormous palapa roof withstood the storm. Down the street, Colleen Gundy's drive is completely blocked by uprooted trees, but she and her house are reportedly safe. Roger and Deema Thompson also weathered the storm well in Corozal Town, only 1 building away from the sea, but lost their Internet satellite and with it their email.

http://scavenge.localgringos.com:80/2007/08/21/posthurricane-report--corozal-belize.aspx

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
from a friend

I attempted to go into Coro today to get my own pix. From my vehicle
with laptop I have everything I need including net access. So loaded
up cameras, U3 drives, memory, etc.

However After about mile 25 I turned back - way TOO much traffic, many
hung over and I suspect still drunk drivers. I would have reached Coro
at nightfall.

A nut in a red truck either drunk or on drugs was overtaking unto
incoming traffic. General Tom Greenwood was one of the motorists
almost run off the highway by the red truck nut. Tom called into LOVE
FM to report the culprit, hopefully the cops caught him at
Hattieville.

From what I've seen so far damage to Coro was primarily to poorly
constructed and humble dwellings. In one area about 40 houses had roof
failure according to a Red Cross interview I saw, I suspect the
contractor did nor use hurricane straps.

As expected, most signage failed.

About BEL 50 poles went down, taking down electricity, cable TV,
telephone, DSL etc.

No electricity or water. Potable water in Coro is from deep wells so
no electricity, no pumps no water.

Belize is currently generating all its electrical energy as BEL lost
its feed from Comision Federal de Electricidad. BEL Ceo Lyn Young
reported earlier today that the two CEF transmission lines from Merida
into Quintana Roo are down, so no hope of Mexican juice for a while.

W
W
Thanks Marty, for the details of Corozal. I'm still waiting to hear from Craig and May. They are so close to the sea. My place is a few blocks back from theirs (away from the water- next to the graveyard), I'm hoping my horse is OK. Thanks for the tip re the cellphones, I'll try Chaba in the morning to hear how the family fared, and exactly what trees are down. Rosalind

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.