Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
NEMO BULLETIN #6-HURRICANE DEAN
By NEMO Information Unit
Aug 20, 2007, 08:15 pm

BELMOPAN, 20th August 2007, 8:15 PM - NEMO hereby advises the public not to be fooled by the apparent calm which occurs when the eye of the hurricane passes over Belize. Please monitor your radio for the official ALL CLEAR before venturing out from your shelter or home.

NEMO advises the general public that the curfew has been extended up to 9 p.m. tonight to accommodate people seeking safe shelter only for residents in Belize City.

NEMO reminds the general public that the sale of alcohol is absolutely prohibited during this emergency. The consumption of alcohol in public places is also prohibited especially in designated shelters.

At 6:00 p.m. local time, the center of Hurricane Dean continues to move west ward near 20 mph. Hurricane Dean was located near latitude 18.2 N�.85.1 W or about 209 miles east North east of Belize City, 189 miles east by North of San Pedro, Ambergris Caye and 216 miles east of Corozal Town. On this track, Dean is expected to make land fall over the Yucatan Peninsula very early Tuesday. The southern eye-wall is expected to be over extreme northern Belize when hurricane Dean makes landfall over the Yucatan peninsula. Hurricane Dean is an extremely dangerous hurricane and has strengthened to a Category Five hurricane with winds of 160 miles per hour. The Government of Belize has extended the Hurricane warning to the entire coast of Belize.

Conditions are already deteriorating over Belize. North to North Westerly winds are expected to increase to hurricane strength in the north tonight producing very rough seas along with large swells. Wave height will increase to about 9 - 14 feet. We will get continuous rain tonight with embedded showers and thunderstorms. Rain could cause flashfloods and flooding.

-End-

http://www.nemo.org.bz/nemonews/news_releases/article_304.php

P
P
I would like to thank NEMO for their increible work and the steady leadership of the San Pedro NEMO person. Thanks for all the calm and accurate information. Thanks for not letting anyone become complacent, and thanks for the training that you have provided all the emergency workers. And thanks to all those workers who stayed all the island to protect it and offer medical and other emergency services. The last couple of years of instense training has certainly paid off.

amen Pam. they have done incredible work

OP Offline
My thoughts exactly. I am proud of the level of professionalism they displayed. Have you seen their pictures inside the Headquarters during Hurricane Dean? - Follow this link:
http://www.nemo.org.bz/nemonews/news_releases/article_307.php
Jan

OP Offline
And of course I am very grateful to you, Marty - the Message Board was once again a life-line for many. Sure kept my thoughts on something else during the Hurricane. Noticed you're off line, you must be exhausted.
Big Thanks my friend!!
Jan

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 291 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.