Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#247270 08/24/07 02:29 PM
G
OP Offline
G
I'm looking for a dive operator for early Sept to do a referral course. Than of course some additonal dives throughout my 10 day stay.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Should I just ask my hotel; The Palms?

With regards to price, they are not all the same.

Do some specialize in beginners more than others?

By the way, does anyone know how to do a search on this forum so I don't ask a question somebody already asked?

You can click "Search" in the menu at the top of the page. It's on the same row as "Forum List".

As for dive operators, there are several that do referral courses. I believe the most popular among the regulars here on the board is Protech Belize.

http://www.protechdive.com/

If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.

N
N
Look at Ecologic Divers too.

Look at Chuck and Robbie's too.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

G
OP Offline
G
Thanks all for the info. I was hoping all of you would agree on one making it easy for me to choose. But at least I have narrowed it down. I'm sure they are all well respected places.

Would it help if I gave a second nod to Protech?

B
B
Belize Diving Adventures. Husband and wife team who have been on the island and diving for a long time. Entertaining and extremely safe. Small groups and very personal attention.
Give either Everitte or Enes a call at 226-3082 or 226-3050. I have used them since 2004 on many dives, they are great. Have fun....

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
Message boards (this, Belize Forums, and Scubaboard are the obvious ones) are the best place to get impartial recommendations. Then you just need to visit the ones you prefer to see what they're like "in the flesh".

Beware of two traps - (1) the place with the most recommendations may just be the busiest, and (2) when hotels recommend operators they may have an eye to the size of their commission cheque. That said, I don't think that's how The Palms operates.

The closest dive centers to your hotel are Ramon's (south) and AquaDives (north), though most of the others aren't far away and they'll all pick you up at your dock.

Presumably by "a referral course" you mean doing the open water dives, after you've already done everything else at home? The expression doesn't have a fixed meaning (so obviously the cost varies). And is it with PADI or another training agency?

Eer...you do a search by selecting "search" at the top of the screen(!) How you choose your search argument depends on what results you get.

The biggest problem with selecting an instructor by word of mouth, is that most every new diver loved their first instructor. After all, when one is just starting out, how can one know any better? There's no way for a new diver to compare. So, a new diver's recommendation, is only that they liked their instructor. Kinda like the Stockholm Syndrome. wink

Therefore, generally the best thing to do, is once you have arrived, go around to the shops, get a sense of the shop(s), and meet the person(s)that could be your instructor if you chose them. Have a conversation, ask some questions, get a sense of how you will relate with them, how the two of you will communicate, and so on. Then make your pick . . .or you could just select one in advance, go with that and I'm sure you'll still be very satisfied.

It's what you do with your diving after you are certified that will really count. Just as when you first got your driver's licence was the beginning of learning to be a good driver, an Open Water Certification is the beginning of learning how to be a good diver.

Amen Seashell

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 287 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.