Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#247804 08/29/07 11:38 AM
OP Offline
Hi everybody!!!! My name is Melissa and I'm hoping to make some friends and get some good advice before I move there in 4 years. My father in law is a big wig with Sueno del Mar and hopefully my husband and I will move there as soon as our youngest daugter graduates high school. I'm hoping to run the customer service side and my husband the dive side. We went to Belize last year and I absolutely loved it!!!! I'm so excited and looking forward to moving there but I really know nothing about what I'll have to do when I get there. What are the rules for people moving there? Does anybody have any good tips for me? I also thought it would be nice to make some friends before I got there. Anybody need another friend? I'll let you know a little about me; I'm 36 years old and married to my high school sweetheart. We have 2 kids 14 and 16. We have an English Bulldog, a pomeranian, a cat, a kitten and a featherless bird(what are the rules for bringing animals in?) I don't dive but my husband loves it. My son is going to college to learn how to run his own surf shop and my daughter wants to go to college to become a marine biologist. As you can tell, we all love the ocean. I don't know what else I could tell you but if there's anything you want to know, just ask. Any friends or advice would be great. Thank you

The questions you ask have been addressed on this board many times. I would advise using the Search function to review previous responses. Then, when you have more specific questions, the very friendly folks here will be all too willing to share their expertise and knowledge. smile to a fellow Kansan!!

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
4 years is a long way off. So maybe we can advise you on planning.
I have observed in the 20 years that I've been here that people moving to the island have a tendency to bring tons of useless stuff from their life in North America. They suffer duty and shipping woes for possessions that are either useless, or the cost of getting idems here out weigh just buying more after you arrive in Belize.
Try to avoid the shipping container fiasco.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Having moved here in the last two years I can certainly support Elbert's advice. We only brought six boxes of stuff with us and that was way too much.

On the pet side, I would warn you now that bringing your bird in will be much more complicated than the other pets. But in four years that could all change. Personally, I do not think that this climate is at all suitable for an English Bulldog. I have owned an English Bulldog and would never have subjected her to these conditions. In addition to that the level of veterinary care is limited and there is not even an xray available on the island. We did bring one dog, but left our elderly cat with friends in the UK because we knew she would struggle with the climate and the lifestyle.

We know a lot of people who have brought pets from abroad and had health problems with them here. Remember that heartworm and tick fever are very common here. If you intend your cats to go outside, be conscious that cats get regularly eaten by larger predators here - think boas.

The other thing I can advise you from our experience is to be prepared for the completely different way of life and doing things here. English is the official language of Belize, but things here not done in any way like they are in North America or England. You need endless patience, willingness to compromise on just about everything, very high tolerance for people's differences, a very open mind and a constant willingness to learn if you are going to survive and be happy.

We have seen a number of people come here in the short time we have lived here and not last.

One last thing that we were told before we came, which is very important to know. If you have any problems or issues, sort them out before you come here. They will be magnified by living here.

San Pedro is paradise for us and many others, but truly it is all about the attitude you bring with you.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

My advice would be come for long visits several times a year, and start getting rid of your STUFF now. Quit buying, as you will bring very little with you. You will find you don't really need much. We have never brought down more then our suitcase allowance, and have usually used up a great deal of our weight allowance with hobby & art equipment. People tend to be friendly here, so it is pretty easy to make friends, but don't get to attached as this is dream land and people come and go a lot. Some live the dream and then move on to another dream, for others the dream turns nightmarish and they go back home. For a lot of folks they enjoy the island for a few years and then it is time to move on. You will meet some very interesting people, for dull folks would never live this dream. Enjoy!

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
C
C
I've been selling a lot of my old stuff on Ebay---it's great! And I've been making $$$!!!

C
C
YOu know, after a couple minutes, I thought about it. The only things I would bring to Belize that would be worth paying the duty would be electronics (computer, TV, stereo, microwave)> I would also bring my clothes, music, and books (to start a trading library!). Maybe some kitchen stuff like: Blender (or vita-mix), good quality pots & pans, and knives. Oh yeah, and tools. That is really important.
How is it to bring stuff in from the US and pay duty versas buying stuff in Chetumal an bringing it in. Same?
Feel free to chime in. My house gets started in the spring. (Lawd willin' an' the creek don't rise!)

Bring good bedding and towels! Don't need more than one light blanket per bed but sheets are important. I have micro-fiber blankets that fold up small and give just the right amount of warmth on those few cool (70) nights.
I like my kitchen tools too.
I almost filled a 20 ft. container and with that have furnished a two bedroom condo, studio apartment, one bedroom apartment and still have stacks of boxes in the loft - unopened. Believe people when they say "don't bring too much!"

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Even good quality sheets are available here. I was in belize City a couple of weeks ago and Mirab had king size sheets name brand sheets in 200 and 250 TPI. Not a big selection but a few years ago they were not available at all.

You can easily buy TV, microwave, blender, basic tools on the island or in Belize City. Books are easier to find now days and weigh alot. Bring your clothes and knives. Load your music on and MP3 player and bring a docking station with good speakers and there you have all your music, and good sound with out carting all that music and a sterio. Or load onto your laptop and bring some little Bose speakers - this really works better then you would think.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 128 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,202
Posts500,025
Members20,466
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.