Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#247824 08/29/07 01:46 PM
Teenah Offline OP
OP Offline
Brion Young and his family lived on the island for the past several years, where he worked as a divemaster for Barefoot Watersports and Protec. He, his wife Maria and their two children moved back to Cayo a year or so ago where he continues to work in the tourism industry. Those of you who know Brion know what a kind and loving father he is.

Brion's 11 year old daughter Kenisha, was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma (bone cancer) in her left knee area on August 5th. Kenisha's only treatment option in Belize is amputation. Since the diagnosis, Brion has desparately tried to find a treatment facility in the US that specializes in pediatric cancers. Unless he can find a facility to write a letter indicating that they will treat Kenisha for free, the US Customs and Immigration will not even issue her a VISA to visit the US.

Brion has since taken Kenisha to Meridia, Mexico where she is in the hospital doing further diagnostics. The concern is that the cancer may have already spread. At the most progressive treatment centers, limb salvaging surgery along with chemo has proven very effective in treating pediatric osteosarcoma, but without this treatment, her prognosis is very poor.

My hope by posting this is that someone out there will see it and know someone who might be willing and able to help. Does anyone have a connection with a physician or hospital who may be willing to help her? I've been trying to find a facility since I received his e-mail on August 6th. In the mean time, Brion is unable to work while he is in Mexico taking care of Kenisha. If anyone would like to send Brion an e-mail, you can reach him at [email protected]

Several of my local friends in San Pedro are putting money together to help them with their expenses. There are people in Cayo doing fundraisers as well. I will be joining them with a donation of my own and encourage others to help by keeping Kenisha in their prayers, sending well wishes to Brion and if
possible, help defray some of his medical costs by making a monetary donation.

Please don't hesitate to PM if you have more questions. I have seen the medical reports as well as the x-rays, so I can verify that she is a very sick little girl. Thanks everyone for your time!

Teenah

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
Dreadful news that I hadn't heard before. I've asked Marty to post here a photo that I took of Kenisha 3 1/2 years ago. A more delightful child you could not hope to meet.

I knew Brion for a year or so when he was at Barefoot, and of course after he joined us at Protech. I do hope we can see a happy outcome from this tragedy.

Peter Jones
Protech

M
M
They should try St. Jude Childrens Hospital in Memphis. They specialize in pediatric cancer.

https://www.stjude.org/contact

(from thier website)

St. Jude is unlike any other pediatric treatment and research facility anywhere. Discoveries made here have completely changed how the world treats children with cancer and other catastrophic diseases.

We are where some of today's most gifted researchers are able to do more science, more quickly. Where doctors across the world send their toughest cases and most vulnerable patients. Where no one pays for treatment beyond what is covered by insurance, and those without insurance are never asked to pay. We've built America's 3rd-largest health-care charity, with a model that keeps the costs down and the funds flowing, so the science never stops.

All patients accepted for treatment at St. Jude are treated without regard to the family's ability to pay.

Teenah Offline OP
OP Offline
mitzi,

I've already contacted St. Jude's. Kenisha does not fit within the guidelines of any of their studies. I was quite disappointed when I talked to them. They treat all children at no cost to the parent, but the child has to fit certain criteria to be accepted.

Again, sometimes you just have to be at the right place at the right time. I believe there is someone out there who can help Kenisha. We just need to find that someone. Any help is appreciated!

Teenah

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I think that is a picture of Brion and not the picture of Kenisha.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Teenah Offline OP
OP Offline
I asked Marty to put up this photo of Brion. Peter also asked him to put one of Kenisha too.

The Solove Cancer Research Institute at Ohio State offers several programs. Don't have any clue if she'd be a fit, but here is the link...

http://www.jamesline.com/trials/

In addition, Columbus Children's Hosipital has a higher rated oncology department than St. Jude's (I was surprised too). Don't know if they have any programs that may help, but here goes...

http://www.columbuschildrens.org/

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
Hon Offline
I realize that you are looking for information on hospitals/programs in the US but you may also want to look into the International Patient Program at the Hospital for Sick Children (known locally as Sick Kids) in Toronto.

http://www.sickkids.ca/internationalprogram/default.asp

International Patient Office
The Hospital for Sick Children
555 University Avenue
Toronto, Ontario
CANADA
M5G 1X8
Phone: (416) 813-7234
Fax: (416) 813-8667
e-mail: [email protected]

They have free treatment program called The Herbie Fund - http://www.sickkids.ca/internationalprogram/section.asp?s=Herbie+Fund&sID=9303

Good luck Teenah, Brion and, most of all, Kenisha.

Newfoundlanders are the only people in heaven who want to go home.
Teenah Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks all for the information...I'll keep you posted as details become available.

Teenah

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.