Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#247996 - 08/31/07 06:45 PM Importing pets and quarantine time.
Mac&Erin Offline
I checked out the search function and scanned through topics but I didn't see anything on the subject. I'm looking for info on how long typical housepets would have to spend in quarantine before they're free and clear. I thought I read something a while back that said 90 day quarantine.

Anyone know what the law is?

Has anyone been through the experience or know how the conditions are for the pets?

#247997 - 08/31/07 06:51 PM Re: Importing pets and quarantine time. [Re: Mac&Erin]
Mac&Erin Offline
I just searched again and instead of 1 year back I searched 2 years back and pulled up something...oddly it's from a month ago. Maybe the guy using the search function is an idiot...

http://ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthread...true#Post243555

Thanks anway.

#248021 - 09/01/07 01:06 AM Re: Importing pets and quarantine time. [Re: Mac&Erin]
Cooper Offline
There is no quarantine for dogs and cats if you have proper paper work. It will cost $12.50 to bring your animal in, you will need a health certificate from your vet at home,its easy its simple, I have done it several times. On the otherhand, I am so against people bringing their pets here, they usually do not do well, often they die. If you love your animal find it a good home, back home. If you just love animals, we have alot here already that make wonderful, loving pets, that at this time have knowone to love them.

#248029 - 09/01/07 05:28 AM Re: Importing pets and quarantine time. [Re: Cooper]
pedro2
Yes. I had to rehouse three cats, on advice that the temperature & humidity here would be too much for them. That and the lack of the grass they were used to. Although they were devoted to me when they lived with me, a year after being rehoused they barely knew me, and after two years they treated me as a total stranger. We wrongly attribute human emotions to them.

#248039 - 09/01/07 02:19 PM Re: Importing pets and quarantine time. [Re: ]
collyk Offline
We left one cat and brought one dog. For us it isn't about the animal's 'emotions'. We believe that when you get a pet, you are responsible for it for life, so it is more about our own personal sense of responsibility.

In the UK, there are many homeless pets in shelters and there are even more in the USA. So by rehoming a pet in the USA or the UK, you are not doing homeless pets any favours. Our cat remained with part of our extended family, we pay her vet bills and we get regular reports on her welfare. The reason we didn't bring her is that she was 14 years old and has very white fur with very pink skin. Not suitable for a sunny climate. Nevertheless, we have maintained our responsibility for her. We have also adopted a local dog and will be adopting more local pets later. We are so glad that we brought our own dog from the UK. She has never been happier or healthier. We had one bout of tick fever and that is it. We get so much pleasure out of sharing in her fun, diving off of piers, chasing Jesus lizards and diving for crabs. We are the one's who benefit emotionally.

Also, just because you bring your pets with you, it doesn't mean that you can't give a good home to some local dogs and cats.

#248051 - 09/01/07 04:13 PM Re: Importing pets and quarantine time. [Re: collyk]
dabunk Offline
We had three dogs before we moved here 5 years ago, all big and 2 were long haired. The other was a retired seeing eye dog. He died just before we left but the other two went to as good or better homes than we could give them. I do not believe that either could have done well here. We did not adopt any here until we knew this was going to be our home, now we have 4 and a cat and a parrot, all adoptees. Life is good.

#248434 - 09/05/07 02:21 AM Re: Importing pets and quarantine time. [Re: dabunk]
indygal Offline
We have been bringing our 14 year old house dog for the last several years and she does fine. She is tough little thing but we do not let her loose to roam. I expect it depends on the type pet you have. Also, never had any problem bringing her in, just got the required papers and permit.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 48 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,675 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,058 Topics
462,301 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.