Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#248451 09/04/07 10:44 PM
C
OP Offline
C
We are flying into Belize City and were planning to take the hop over to Ambergris Caye, Is this the best mode of transportation from the Main Airport in Belize City? We have been told if we get a cab over to the municipal airport and take a hop from there it is easier and cheaper (I'm not as worried about the $$ versus the ease of transportation). Thanks for any info.

Live Laugh Love
colomojo #248455 09/04/07 11:32 PM
Well, it's not "easier" inasmuch as it takes more time; and if there are only 2 of you not sure that you save enough $$ to make up for the time it takes. Another option is the water taxi - which is considerably cheaper. Most will tell you don't waste the time (taxi ride to water terminal and about an hour ride to AC), but I love taking the water taxi over. It's a great way to ease into island time, start on your tan, get an upclose view of the water and other cayes, feel the wind in your hair, meet some locals and ask lots of questions. It also gives you a bit of the flavor of Belize City as you generally spend a bit of time at the terminal waiting for the next taxi. I believe the last time I took the water taxi it was $15 US each way per person. The cab to the water terminal should run you $20-$25 US and sometimes you can find others at the airport to share the cab. Like most things, it's a matter of preference.

I can never remember which is better . . . safe? . . . or sorry?
Leah-Ann #248459 09/05/07 03:37 AM
V
V
If you want ease of transportation, take the hopper flight out of Belize International. Yes, the Municipal Airport is about half the price of a ticket from the International Airport but if there are only two of you...it's not worth it. (by the time you pay for taxi, wait for taxi, etc)

J
J
We flew into International, and went to San Ignacio for a couple of days. Then on the way BACK, we drove to Muni, and flew to Ambergris. On the way back, we flew to Muni, taxied to International, and flew out of there.

For the money we saved for four of us, it was well worth it, and the cab ride was easy!

If you are looking for ease of transportation, take the flight over from intl. Our guests in Ambergris did this, and they said it was a very easy method.

C
OP Offline
C
There are 6 of us and I think our flights from Dallas get in after 3 so I think we need to be aware of the time. I think the water taxi sounds like fun - how late do they run? I think the last hop is at 5????

Live Laugh Love
colomojo #248482 09/05/07 11:05 AM
S
S

SimonB #248487 09/05/07 11:42 AM
you might be cutting it close to get the water taxi, depending on how much after 3 you arrive and how long it takes you to clear customs - if you are the easygoing type, you shouldn't have a problem waiting until you get there to decide - if time looks tight, just go to the Tropic or Maya desk and purchase tickets for the next flight to the island or if you have time grab a cab to the water terminal - that also leaves you the flexibility to change your mind if the weather is bad - as much as I love the water taxi I wouldn't find it as fun in the rain.

SimonB #248488 09/05/07 11:43 AM
M
M
I saw a response from a viewer to check out sidestep.com for cheap fares, but when I entered Belize International Airport it did not recognize that airport, did I incorrectly state the airport name? If so, could someone please advise what is the correct name of the airport in Belize where all flights arrive at, I'll be traveling from Los Angeles?

marisol1 #248489 09/05/07 11:50 AM
E
E
Airport code, "BZE"

Ernie B #248492 09/05/07 11:59 AM
some of those sites won't list flights to Belize - don't know why
sidestep seems to work - still, I've never found prices lower that what is offered by TACA unless you have a couple of really looooong layovers
TACA out of LAX is almost always the cheapest flight you can find - also, for what it's worth, I can usually shave a few $$ off their web prices by calling them and booking over the phone - just the opposite of most airlines.

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 149 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.