Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#24852 - 08/29/00 01:40 PM Clarification on the traffic!
Sandshaker Offline
To all new-comers of the island.
Please don't think you are going to get run over by speeding taxis when you come to A.C.
I think this topic has been a little misleading.
It depends on who you are asking about traffic.....the tourist?....or the residents?
It also depends on what you are used to in the way of traffic.
If you are from New York City....you will think this island is in a coma compared to what you are used to.
See my point?
The residents here measure traffic by the growth we have seen....not that it is huge, just more than what we are used to....or would like to have.
No need for any future visitors to worry about traffic here in San Pedro. You WILL have a great trip!....I promise.

It's kinda like when people ask me about crime. I say..."Compared to what?...the states? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I rest my case!

I still love this island....no matter what!
Gonna make a new bumper sticker for my gold cart....
"The worst day in San Pedro is better than the absolute best day in the states!" LOL

#24853 - 08/29/00 02:33 PM Re: Clarification on the traffic!
ss - just what i was trying to say. compared to 1993 there is much more on the roads but compared to here, well, you cant compare it to here. just look behind you from time to time and make sure no vans are there. also, again, no crime i saw, jim at JE mentioned local kids can vandal, but i did at that age too (did i just admit that?). again, very comfortable walking around alone (as ss knows, i am 5' & 98 lbs!). one good thing, i got whistled at and called to (hey baby where ya goin'?) for the first time in 10 years!!! ha ha ha!!

#24854 - 08/29/00 02:38 PM Re: Clarification on the traffic!
Sandshaker Offline
LOL....made your day..Huh Jane?
You go girl!

#24855 - 08/29/00 02:43 PM Re: Clarification on the traffic!
Belize Mama Offline
We began coming to AC back in 1993 or 94. Back then what attracted us (among other things) was the lack of traffic. We told all of our friends "You have to see this place. Everyone rides bikes, drives a golf cart or walks. It's fantastic. No air polution or noise , or anything. You have to visit."
Now the best that can be said is "The traffic isn't as bad as a small town in the States." This is supposed to be good? I don't think so. We were told back then that only a certain number of vehicles were allowed on the island, and that one of those would have to leave before another one could be brought over. What happened to this policy? Or was that just something that was being told so you would buy property? Is the ban on building higher than 3 stories just a myth too? We still love AC but think it would be better if they got a lot of the vehicles off the island. If someone needs a taxi, what is wrong with golf cart taxis? They sure cost less than a car or mini van and cause none of the polution. One of the big drawing points for AC is that no one is ever in a hurry....so why do you need a taxi to get you somewhere a little faster than a golf cart can? Sure, supply trucks and building vehicles are necessary but if they are kept to the backside of San Pedro, it would get them out of public view and make the streets safe enough that you wouldn't have to "keep to the shoulder and look behind you frequently".

Again, I do love the island. We hope to be building on our own property soon. And, since we will be north of the river, we won't have to worry (right now) about the traffic on a constant basis, but it does need to be adressed.
Sorry this turned into a novelette.

#24856 - 08/29/00 03:02 PM Re: Clarification on the traffic!
Belize Mama Offline
I forgot to say Hi to you Tammy. So Hi from Pensacola.

#24857 - 08/29/00 03:08 PM Re: Clarification on the traffic!
bigzeke Offline
Belize Mama...I too am planning to build on the island. I am looking at a few pieces of property both north and south. A local told me that a bridge was soon to replace the ferry there. Have you heard of this? I am leaning toward the south right now because I can get a better lot because where I am looking there is no electricity as yet. It too is SUPPOSE to be there soon. Any info you have will be appreciated because I am coming very close to pulling the trigger on this real estate deal.

#24858 - 08/29/00 03:12 PM Re: Clarification on the traffic!
bigzeke Offline
Belize Mama....I just noticed that you are from Pensicola. I have a restaurant in St.Augustine and am also planning an eventual move there. How about emailing me at bigzeke@belizemail.net with any info you can give.
Thanks in advance!

#24859 - 08/29/00 04:45 PM Re: Clarification on the traffic!
Sandshaker Offline
WOW!....I go to lunch and look what happens....LOL
Hello BelizeMama!!!....how's P'cola?

Hmmmm....where to begin?
Things I have learned since living here...LOL
1) Never believe anything you hear until you get it straight from the horse's mouth.
2) No matter how much you want this to be the sleepy little village....progress has arrived.
3) With progress....comes problems. That isn't limited to Ambergris Caye though.
4) We as humans are never satisfied....LOL
It's our nature.
If it doesn't rain....we want rain....when it does rain....we gripe about it...and the mosquitoes it brings...LOL
If it's sunny....we complain it's too hot....if it's overcast....we gripe because it's dreary and depressing.
I have even griped because it was too windy and actually blew the top half of my pan grilled fish sandwich off while lunching at Cannibals...LOL Imagine that....I'm eating lunch....no clocks to punch....gazing at the most beautiful turquoise waters on Earth, and I'm complaining about the wind that God so graciously gave me to cool off with!!!!
How ungrateful could I be?....LOL

Point is....no matter what happens...we are never satisfied....and we never like change.

As more property is sold, more houses built and more tourist come.....an increase in traffic is inevitable. There is no getting around it.
I mean you have to get supplies to the site where you are building right?....and if you step off the plane and find out you have to walk with all your luggage all the way to Banyan Bay....I dare say you will be happy about it...LOL

The golf cart issue for taxi's has been brought up but there are some problems with that also.

I never knew anything about golf carts till I came here...except for the fact I loved to drive them around on a golf course. Well trust me....the roads here are not as kind to a golf cart as the course is.

I got a price on a golf cart from Polo's when I first came here. $6500 bz for a totally RECONDITIONED one with all new batteries. After I put my eyes back in my head and picked my teeth off the sand....I said, "Why would I pay you $6500 bz for a golf cart when I can buy a car for less than that...and have a trunk, backseat, and protection from the rain....not to mention air-conditioning?" He just shrugged his shoulders.
The maintenance on golf carts is not cheap either. To date I have spent:
$180 bz on 3 USED batteries (new $200 each...and there are 6 per cart)
$150 bz on brake work about 3 months ago
$253 bz on a total brake job 2 weeks ago (the last mud fest seized them)
$895 bz for a brand new charger!

The carts don't last long here because of the road conditions and the salt air. I pray for mine every morning...LOL

The other problem is that in order to use golf carts for taxi's....you would have to buy the long multi-seat ones with room at the back for luggage...those are very expensive. You would also have to install charging stations all over the island to re-charge. I'm not saying it can't be done...I just don't see it happening anytime soon. It would have been better to start those changes 5 yrs. ago before things got so busy.

There is a lot to be said for pre-planning!!

This is one of the issues that is being discussed by several parties about the new developing of the north end of the island.
My suggestion is to discuss and problem solve NOW before things really get going.
I will keep you posted on new developements.

OK....I've rattled on enough..guess it's time to shud up....LOL

http://www.travelclub.net http://www.glentree.com

#24860 - 08/29/00 07:32 PM Re: Clarification on the traffic!
Laguna Punta Offline
Little Miss Sifting Sand forgets to mention the damage that ditches make on golf carts. Its hard to steer when ya waving with BOTH hands. PS. Sorry ta hear about ya fish sandwich. I'm sure our little cat friend apprechiated the snack.
Gone fishing!!

#24861 - 08/29/00 07:54 PM Re: Clarification on the traffic!
Sandshaker Offline
LOL....you wait till you get back here! You got a lashing coming!....LOL Good sturdy piece of bamboo would do nicely.
Bill always want's to exagerate about my driving. He forgets to mention the ditch he is speaking of, is the poor excuse of a road he has leading to his house in the middle of the lagoon. He dug that ditch out on purpose for the croc to swim thru to the airstrip!

Bebe (the cat) was sleeping and never noticed the half eaten bun on the sand. The ants had a field day with it though!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Diver Damon, 1 invisible), 41 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,697 Topics
461,207 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.