Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#248669 09/06/07 11:22 PM
B
OP Offline
B
This report is way past due, I know. In fact, I'll be back on AC this November and am counting the days. I read the boards all the time and have never gotten the courage to add my two cents worth, but after reading a trip review the other day from someone who couldn't understand the allure of the island, I just had to write. I've read that San Pedro is nothing more than a shanty town, that the beaches are dirty, the accomodations lacking, and the food either too expensive or not fit to eat. To those who feel this way, I respectfully ask that they not return and leave the island to those of us who love it.

I stayed at Banyan Bay during my stay, and each day I walked into town while my husband and FIL were bonefishing. Every step along the beach into town brought some new surprise and another reason for falling in love. The rusty old bike leaning against a palm; seashells encased in concrete, little birds running toward the water and then hightailing it back as the surf rushed up; the little boy with his bucket of fish, the school girls riding three across to or from school, their little faces wreathed in smiles; the shadows on the sand cast by the palms. I could go on and on. So many memories captured on film, but so many more held close to the heart and undescribable, so beautiful they are.

During our stay we visited the reef, the marine reserve, took a day trip to Caye Caulker, ate at Carambas and Elvis, enjoyed beans and rice from a little sidewalk stall. We met and visited with a truly delightful young boy, Jason, who told us about the schools, homework, helping his mother sell her jewelry, local information on any number of subjects. We met his dog and we enjoyed a good laugh when my husband took a candid picture of him "doing his business."

We drank Belikans and smoked Cubans and when we weren't walking the beach, we were weaving our way through the potholes on our golf cart, swerving between the locals, the taxis and others like ourselves having a grand ol time falling into the holes and coming out the other side still alive. smile

I watched the fishermen clean their daily catch, feed the rays that enjoyed the scraps, saw a little boy catch a nurse shark with his fishing pole and saved the memory of his huge smile and his mama's shrieks as he reeled it in. I have the memory of watching my husband and his dad enjoy the day and each other's company and talk trash each night over beer and cigars.

I wish I could put into words the magic of AC. I like my comforts as much as anyone else, but the island gives those willing to listen and experience the magic a longing to never leave. I would give up my big house and my fancy car and my professional career to never wear shoes again, to eat beans and rice and find love and happiness in an AC sunset. The magic of the island weaves itself around any who are willing to take a moment to embrace not only the beauty, but the imperfections as well.

burntbuns:
You have in your 6 paragraphs captured the "Lure" of San Pedro.

Your excellent description of the simple pleasure of taking a walk on the beach, meeting with the local children , and the experiences you had with the local people and the vendors , who ply thier wares is exactly why my wife and I fell in love with San Pedro. Even better for us was the outpouring of friendliness we encountered with not only the indigenous people, but also, the Ex-Pats who opened up their hearts and homes to us.

My wife and I, among others who frequent this Board, will be in SP in November as well ( 10-17). I sincerly hope this time frame overlaps or coincides with your next visit.It would be a pleasure to meet you and your husband.If these dates ( 10-17 Nov.)are in your schedule, and you wish to meet with fellow Lovers of AC. please PM me and we can arrange a time to link up with each other.

Never Use money to measure wealth
Amen - this is the message board at its best!

"Nothing can bring you peace but yourself"
"I wish I could put into words the magic of AC."

I think you did! ;-)

Tears in my eyes. You said it well. It is magic for those who believe. Also looking forward to our visit in November.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
Wow!! Beautifully done, BB!! You've definitely caught the AC experience . . . it is not about a place so much as a way of life. My wife and I will be down for the third time in three years this November. It will feel like coming home. grin

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
RMT Offline
BB,

Thank you. That was one of the best trip reports I have read on here. I normally don't post anymore but I read daily and your report compelled me to comment.

It's funny but I always hesitate when recommending AC to friends as I always stop and wonder will they get past those "imperfections" that you mentioned. Or wait maybe I am just being selfish....? lol Thank you again. Rhonda

That is a good report BB
Love this island
Originally Posted by burntbuns
ate at Carambas and Elvis, enjoyed beans and rice from a little sidewalk stall.

Its Elvi's after the owner Elvita Stanes
Thank you very much

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
BB - amazing trip report. You said it best!

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
To whom it may concern. I feel really lucky to have a DIL who can put into words, the sentiment that was PRESSED upon the three of us last Novembet. Just a lucky ROF HUH. Son Stev and I were down when to last storm came and had another real experience. Caught a few fish also. And, I just couldn't wait for November to come again so, I'll be down, by myself, on Sunday. Nobody else can get the time off. Bummer HUH. C U at BC's Sunday eve. Don

I'll be happy to discuss my avatar with anyone who knows what it is.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 294 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.