Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#2494 - 10/01/00 12:13 PM What happened that no one evacuated???
Ana Offline
I have been reading messages about San Pedro and Caye Caulker and I was a bit shocked. I mean we all know that this hurricane gained strength so fast, it was hard to even leave the islands...but we all know that even though we have a named storm in the area that we should leave...what happened that no one left...or is that just my impression? Cause I guess some people did leave.

just raising a concern....

#2495 - 10/01/00 12:14 PM Re: What happened that no one evacuated???
Marty Offline
this thing went from zero to 130 at an incredible pace...

it bloomed up in a day...

#2496 - 10/01/00 12:17 PM Re: What happened that no one evacuated???
Ana Offline
Yeah, I know that...but its common sense that when you have a named storm out there in your vicinity that you leave asap...what happened that they didnt act fast...other than this storm gaining strength so rapidly? Was the government late in reacting? (obviously) ...but I mean, two yrs ago eventhough Mitch was a few ways away, a lot evacuated....and well, now...what can I say?\

#2497 - 10/01/00 12:18 PM Re: What happened that no one evacuated???
sons Offline
I'm in New Jersey so I can't say for sure, but when I went to channel 5 belize web site the transcripts were there for friday nights news broadcast. They pretty much tell the people not to worry, that Keith would not be a threat.

#2498 - 10/01/00 12:24 PM Re: What happened that no one evacuated???
Belize Mama Offline
This storm not only came out of nowhere...it was not expected to be a threat and so everyone just figured they could manage a little wind and rain with no problem. It just strengthened way faster than it should have and then instead of moving up north(like it was supposed to do)...it just decided to sit there. No way this could have been predicted. I live in a hurricane area, and although we take any of them seriously, we would not have thought of evacuating at the point that the storm was in. It was TOO fast, plain and simple.

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 44 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,718 Topics
461,262 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.