BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
S
Cooper answered your question above "Correct, it is not."

Getting carried away and straying from the original question is my favorite thing. So let me sumerize/verify on a few points. Nope, no USDA Beef or Canadian Prime either in Belize unless ya bring it or know someone who does on Caye Caulker. San Pedro is a 15 minute boatride but Lino's doesn't carry it either. Here we replace The words prime, choice, select cuts with words like Marinade or, um ........... I'll take the lamb, fish, or chicken. I think there is one guy on Caye Caulker who could afford a good steak. OK, that was a joke unless you're planning to open a restaurant. Tough to get a good steak in Belize since ya can't eat the manatees anymore but that's a long story. wink Sadly this is not great cattle raising country/climate.

Writer claims no authority, worthwhile knowledge of any kind, and didn't make love to that woman.
S
S
Currently not available in Caye Caulker.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Sir Isaac Newton; 09/17/07 12:40 PM.

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
Caye Caulker may not have US steaks for a reason. Banana Beach's El Divino Restaurant and the Sunbreeze's Blue Water Grill in San Pedro serve fantastic USDA steak dinners. Price $65 Bz. Sometimes they get in some great Belizean Beef cuts.

You need a permit to bring in steaks from the US.

Some of the mainland butchers bring in USDA beef. FYI USDA approved beef is fit for human consumption - but the grade of beef that you can buy is not always great.

"Sadly this is not great cattle raising country/climate."

Has there ever been anyone who tried? There are breeds of cattle that can thrive in almost any climate. Florida for example! They are one of the top Beef producing states in the U.S.

The climate may not come into play as much as the amount of land rquired to have a substantial beef herd.

Never Use money to measure wealth
Yes we raise cattle in Belize and some of them produce some great cuts. But the good beef is sold in such small quantities that you have to be "in the know" to get any.

Lets see, dense brush, swampy land, jaguars, tick feaver, bot flies, snakes, and who knows what else but why would someone raise beef here in the jungle when they can do it so much cheaper elsewhere? Now I understand raising goat, chicken, and pork is no problemo. The reason they don't allow any quantity of beef imported is to support the local farmers. Nice for them. <sigh> Anyway the beef is still way better than Mcdonalds with half the seasoning. lol. I've taken belizean ground steak and added some onion egg, garlic etc.and I garruntee the burgers are better than most. The problem isn't if you're used to USDA which is not always what means quality, but if you are into quality like black angus and so on like in Colorado, Montana, parts of Canada. Lets face it. That beef that melts in your mouth is just to good to fake eccept in a meatloaf. I'm a huge Prime Rib fan myself and love the endcut with au jus and horseradish sauce. I want to be in the know when someone can get that here for sure. <drool>

Writer claims no authority, worthwhile knowledge of any kind, and didn't make love to that woman.
E
E
????

"But the good beef is sold in such small quantities that you have to be "in the know" to get any."

Thats what I was alluding to when I said " Substantial Herd". To produce a viable local market would take a lot of Cattle and much more land that is probably available.

"Lets see, dense brush, swampy land, jaguars, tick feaver, bot flies, snakes,"

as opposed to Scrub brush, cactus, fire ants, cougars, and snakes? The difference? Land

"The reason they don't allow any quantity of beef imported is to support the local farmers."

as opposed to giving the farmer a large, large market for thier produce? i.e., corn, milo, et al? The deciding factor? Land!!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 284 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day