Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#250221 09/20/07 08:14 AM
OP Offline
Mrs. Jayhawk and I will be coming down in November for our third visit in three years and I'd like to bring some stuff from SAGA's wishlist. My brother is a veterinarian and is willing to donate some items, but I am curious about declaration at customs at Goldston. If I am bringing in veterinary pharmaceuticals, will I be required to declare those? What about other items on the list such as syringes, scalpel blades, surgical gloves, etc.?

I'd like to bring things that have the most potential benefit, but understandably don't want them confiscated at the border. Any guidance on the process and what to expect would be much appreciated.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
We brought stuff like that when we moved here. I would suggest contacting SAGA at [email protected] and asking them for a letter to bring with you confirming that you are bringing in donations for the local Humane Society. I declared what we brought in and they were most worried about medicines that were past their shelf date, which we didn't have, but I have heard that others have had those confiscated. They didn't charge us duty and seemed fine about it but I am sure it depends on the officer on the day and what mood they are in. Just smile, be honest and forthcoming - you can only do your best.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

collyk #250242 09/20/07 09:58 AM
In one of the first batches of stuff we brought for Saga we included about 40 lbs of dog biscuits. We ended up in quarantine and spent about an hour and a half while they went through everything we had. They eventually let us through, with the dog biscuits, and didn't charge any duty based on the Saga letter we had.

The next time, no problem with contents but they charged duty on everything because we didn't have the letter.

Last year we asked for a letter and Saga declined to provide one. We never could figure out why we couldn't get them to send a letter. Haven't tried to bring anything since.

I can never remember which is better . . . safe? . . . or sorry?
Leah-Ann #250343 09/20/07 11:34 PM
D
DB Offline
D
KCJ,
Typically the pharmaceuticals go thru much more smoothly when sent thru the mail - declared as "outdated vet supplies" with a very small value per box (US$ 20-30). The customs folks seem to take issue with those items at the airport where thru the post office it seems like they receive much less scrutiny.

Ditto the suggestion from Collyk to contact SAGA for suggestions and also to get their P.O. Box number to which you can send the sensitive stuff.

No matter what you are able to bring down, I am sure they will be most greatful.

Say hello to all the critters for us (and of course Mellie too!)

DB

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 128 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.