Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#250624 09/24/07 05:14 PM
A
aerco Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Does anyone have any experience with private flying in Belize? Places to go, any interesting people connected with flying? Ultralight flying rules and regulations? Experimental/homebuilt aircraft rules? Any dialog on this subject would interest me.

aerco #250689 09/25/07 10:55 AM
C
C
Hi there,
We flew from Texas to Belize in 2004. We hugged the gulf coast around MExico and then straight across just north of the Guat. border. You must have over-flight permission prior to flight for Guatemala if you chose to over-fly. When we flew into Belize we had a handler named George Gillett--he is very good and made our entry paperwork go smoothly. The only unfortunate thing is that the aviation authourity did not allow us to fly wherever we wanted to in the country. Our main destination was Placencia area, but we wanted to also go down to Punta Gorda and up to Corozal etc. They told us that every time we wanted to fly somewhere new we had to go through Belize City and clear it with them, which of course was totally inconvenient. I don't know if they were concerned about the possibility of drugs or contraband being transported, or if it was a safety issue of some other sort, or what. I think that the next time we go in our plane (we've been a few times commercially since then), we will probably be able to get permission to go a few places without having to "check in". The other bad thing is that the only place you can purchase aviation fuel for private aircraft is at BZE or the municipal airport. Which really sucked because while we were parked at the Placencia airstrip, a lot of our fuel got stolen; they left us just enough to fly back to BZE. Another thing: after you leave BZE it is all CTAF. Which is OK, but there is a lot of traffic what with Maya Island Air and Tropic Air going regular routes all day and the pilots all are mostly speaking Kriol, whcih makes it hard to understand who is where etc. If you call out your intentions in English though, they will respond in kind.
Plus, aviation fule is expensive, so be aware of that. If you have a Garmin 396 or better that is good so you can check out your terrain avoidance going through Mexico.
Any more questions ask. I had a blog about it on blogger.com btu I dont' know if it is still up.

I have some friends that are flying all around the world. Belize was there first stop after leaving Miami. They are currently in South America with intentions of flying across the Atlantic to Africa. Here is the site documenting the Belize leg of the adventure:

http://www.cheekymooney.com/belize.asp

Flight plan from Miami to Belize is left hand side link.

A
aerco Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks for the feedback. I have only been to Belize once, but loved it. I would love to start a commercial ultralight operation there (that being my area of expertise) but find it hard to get real answers to my questions. Offical sources don't seem to respond to e-mail inquiries and even big, impressive letters seem to get no result.

aerco #250776 09/25/07 03:55 PM
S
S

SimonB #250826 09/25/07 06:15 PM
You should schedule a meeting in person at Civil Aviation. Their office is upstairs in Goldson Airport.
Speak with Mr. Nigel Carter.
Ultralights will not be well received at first.
You have to be very persistent to get an operating certificate.

reaper #250832 09/25/07 06:21 PM
P
pedro2
pedro2
P
I was waiting for Reaper's contribution. 6 years ago I thought of bringing a plane here and rapidly realised it would be very difficult. Mind you, that would have been on floats and I think they are especially wary of planes that can land on water because of drug running.

#250851 09/25/07 08:59 PM
C
C
Yeah, I thought a Lake would've been great, but then thought about the hassle it would've been........

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
I had in mind something slightly more modest. More like a 206 on floats.

#250950 09/27/07 08:41 AM
W
W
how about a widgeon or a live aboard albatross. oh to have dreams.................

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 282 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.