Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
OP Offline
S
When somebody asks when and where they can see croc feeding they should read this - habituating crocs to people is deadly.
This is from Channel 7 News:

Killer Croc on the Loose in San Pedro

There's a man eating crocodile on San Pedro. The croc is one of many that lives in the lagoons at the back. And police say it's one of those crocs that killed 22-year-old Wilber Blanco in the earning morning of 15th September. Blanco had been partying, was drunk, and somehow ended up in a creek in the San Pedrito area. That's where a croc tore off his two arms, and caused him to die by bleeding to death. Now the Forestry Department has been called in to catch that man eating croc.

George Hanson from the Forestry Department led a two man team which worked in San Pedro on Wednesday and Thursday to catch the croc. They came close on a number of occasions but in the end, they did not get him.

This footage courtesy the San Pedro Sun, shows a local, who regularly feeds the crocs, trying to assist with the effort to capture him. This capture attempt was for a croc that regularly appears in front of the Banyan Bay Hotel. The Forestry Team has said it will return to San Pedro next week with a proper trap.

What a terrible article.
Talk about inciting hysteria.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Elbert, I think it was ment to "Warn" people to be on their toes. I'm sure the officers will manage to capture it. This situation is excatly why people should not feed or play with crocs,(I am not inplying that he was). If crocs are "Afraid" of humans they will avoid humans. This story is a very sad situation, This young man lost his life and whatever actually happened to him shouldn't have happened at all. My heart goes out to his family. Let's just hope it never happens again.

JZB Offline
I'm with Elbert on this one. Killer Croc my aunt fanny.
I don't think that boy went for a late night swim and the croc attacked. Chances are the croc was being opportunistic when it saw a potential meal in his lagoon.
It is absolutely horrible what happened to this poor guy. They should stop worrying about the crocodile so much and figure out why Wilber was in the lagoon in the first place.
Just my opinion.

I remember a couple of tourist watching our croc. sun bathe at the lagoons bank about a month ago ,a father and his 4 year old daughter, she said, 'Daddy I'm afraid', to which he replied," don't worry crocodiles can't walk up stairs".
I don't think people need to have any concern over the crocodiles of Ambergris Caye, They don't frequent Bars, shop in the gift shops,swim at the reef,Visit Hol Chan,or drive golf carts.
Do we need to warn people not to swim in the lagoon at night?
probably not

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
The thing that I find odd about this is that the Banyan Bay crocodile is no where near San Perdito, where this poor gentleman's body was found. I wonder why they are targetting that croc. Although if they are removing him to go to one of the sanctuaries on the mainland, it won't be a bad thing for him I think. He/She has become a bit of a local pet and I see people down there with their chicken scraps most days feeding him and interacting with him. I don't think that his relationship with the local community, however fascinating to me, is beneficial to him. It is probably compromising his welfare to a certain extent and could certainly lead to an accident. I know of at least one swimming drunk that has been pulled out of his lake.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

I don't think he went for a swim either. I was just suggesting that (In general) people should leave all crocs alone and stop messing with them. That way the crocs will continue to avoid humans. We may never find out what really happened to that young man.

S
S
A croc didn't kill Wilber, fa' sheezy. Don't feed any wild animals especially carnivorous reptiles. Common sense. If only folks would get over the novelty. This shark chumming in nonsense too. If you must, feed me, I eat almost anything.

SIN

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
SIN, You promise not to bite if we feed you?

1) How do they think they know which croc took the opportunity?

2) Why do you guys think a croc did not kill Wilbur?

3) Seems to me, that if poor Wilbur did indeed stumble into the creek and fall asleep, any croc could have taken advantage of the situation. How it managed to only take each arm though, is of some interest. Generally, they barrel roll their prey under the water until dead, then stuff them somewhere (also under the water), to continue eating later at their leisure. So the mere fact that Wilbur ended up with only two arms gone but body intact, seems very odd to me. Was there someone around that heard his screams and ran to rescue him?

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.