BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
R
Originally Posted by Randy
I agree that eating in the local restaraunts is good value most have excellent food. I think we ate at them all. My fav is Rasta Pasta, but I heard that they sold. Not sure if that is a fact.

There are a few of us going this time and two of us are Chefs who love cooking. You want an excellent lobster or other seafood BBQ (depending on the night) try out Jolly Roger. You can go early in the afternoon and order your meal or order it later in the evening for the next day.

Another treat we stumbled upon was someone cooking Jerk Chicken near The Split. Simple good jerk chicke, wrapped in wax paper. Oh and the guy selling the rum filled coconut near the split is also good. I think that trip to the Split took us all afternoon.

On Caye Cauker they have 5 kinds of beer:

Belikin Beer - excellent
Belikin stout - nice for a stout
Belikin Supreme - excellent beer
Guinness (local bottler and distributor)- wasn't able to find any
Belikin Lighthouse lager - I got laughed at for drinking it as this is considered to be a woman's beer.

The rum is One Barrel. It is really smooth with a slight vanilla flavour. My wife loved the coconut rum. I think a 40 was $6.80 in 2006. They have a variety of imported liquor but it is expensive. Wine is also not inexpensive. Another liquer I tried was Green Ting an Anise and peppermint flavoured green liquer. They have a website you can check out http://www.traliqbelize.com/products.html I tried a local cashew nut wine, you have to taste it, it is quite "different". You should also try the local bitters. Although I saw some drinking it straight I would not suggest it. Use it as you would any other bitters. A few drops in your rum and coke improve the flavour. I also tried a small bottle of white liquor I bought in Ambergris - the guy behind the counter laughed and said "it is good for the wood". It was a good pick-me-up, not sure about the 'wood' part.

We will have a kitchen while we are there. When are you going to CC?

J
JDB Offline
J
We are going in December have never been. What is the split that you are referring to? Thanks JDB

C
C

Randy Offline OP
OP Offline
Good answer. It is great for snorkelling, and if you want a beer you can have that there too. If you snorkel along the cement wall just west of the split you will see a good variety of fish. Not like Shark Ray Alley but not bad for a place to practice your snorkelling. Watch out if you try to swim across the split. Make sure you know which way the current is flowing. I had a bugger of a time trying to swim back when I hit it wrong. Forget about trying to swim against the current, you can't. Just let yourself go and you will likely end up on shore, don't panic.

Split Canadian
Randy Offline OP
OP Offline
Back to food...I noticed that there was cheese on the shelves in some of the stores. We did not have a fridge so I didn't buy any. In retrospect...the cheese was on the shelves...not refrigerated, so what was I worried about? I now know that the salt content preserves cheese. Has anyone tried the cheese in Belize?

Split Canadian
Hon Offline
As a fellow Canadian, I will tell you that if you are used to Canadian or European cheeses, lhe Mennonite cheese in Belize is truly awful...terrible texture and virtually tasteless. If you want cheese, bring your own from home. I do.

Newfoundlanders are the only people in heaven who want to go home.
Randy Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for your great suggestion, KnckrBckrNYC, as to where to get shrimp and lobster, we will definately pick some up. Do you know if they also would have other kinds of fish available?

Also, I saw a few people fishing at the Split last time we were there. Never saw them catching anything (maybe that was because I was snorkelling too close! Ooops). Would you know anything about fishing on CC? Where to go to catch supper? What types of lures, jigs, bait to use?

We have a few very good seafood recipes we are going to try while we are there. Anyone interested I am more than willing to share.

I brought back some achiote paste at the store - excellent - we used it to make some Ricado on chicken and pork on the BBQ. I also tried it in a number of other dishes. You have to try this, if you haven't. You can use it for almost anything. Almost like a BBQ sauce, when mixed with water, only better. Wonderful . Great when used in stew chicken also.

We also have tried many recipes for rice and beans, but have yet to find one to match the one we had at Monkey River (sorry this is in Placencia). It was more like a risoto, with rice and beans.

Did I mention the fresh fruit juice store in CC? Fresh orange, mango, watermelon, stawberry... almost anything...forget the coke for your rum. Ya just don't need it.

Only 5 more weeks!!! Can't wait! Don't think we will be cooking too much for the first few weeks. Too much we are planning to do.

Split Canadian
Randy Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok, we are back in Saskatchewan after a month on Caye Caulker. Also went to San Ignacio and Tobacco Caye.

On Caye Caulker as per your suggestion KnckrBckrNYC we got the great young guys with the beer truck to deliver us beer, pop and water. They got me a Belikin calendar! We bought all kinds of seafood and poultry at the butcher shop. Great prices $4.50 a pound for shrimp. We got fresh chicken at Chan's. We went fishing on the piers...I caught some. My fishing buddy has to go back to try his luck again. We ate in almost every restaurant on Caye Caulker. I have to say that Don Corlione has improved tremendously since our last visit. The Sports Bar is great. The new places are wonderful. Who says Belizian service is slow? We never found that anywhere.

We bought some of your awesome prints Debbie and I took your suggestion of bringing reading glasses to the Clinic. They were very appreciative. Please keep the suggestions flowing for our next trip there.

We stayed at Georgia Peach. Great place!! We BBQed my catch of the day in the back yard and cooked up some wonderful local products in the well equipped kitchen. All in all, we had another great visit to your wonderful country Belize. Thanks for sharing!!

Split Canadian
R
R
Rasta Pasta is not SOLD but moved down to the south end of front street and better then ever with same great food, drink and desserts!!!! Breakfast Lunch and Dinnner and Closed on Tuesdays...... stilll got spice factory going and salsa also available in San Pedro!!!!!! Son Shanti and daughter in law China da run tings come enjoy Cheeres Maralyn

Randy Offline OP
OP Offline
We were guests at the new Rasta Pasta location and I must thank Rasta Pasta for wonderful food and service!! I wish I could remmber our server's name. I was too entralled by the food I guess?

I had the coconut shrimp and it was wonderful. On another visit we had the Ginger Beer and food of course. My friends and the rest of our party was amazed by the Ginger Beer. Can I have the recipe? I promise I won't come back to Belize and open a Ginger Beer stand. Please??

Our friends had the wraps, burrito not sure what it was called. Have to remember to order just one next time. HUGE!!, and delicious!! On another visit we had the fish. Again not disappointed. How many times had we visited...I think 4 in total...and we will be back.

Thanks again.

Split Canadian
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day