Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#25294 - 09/04/00 12:12 AM gun ownership on AC?
Belize Mama Offline
Okay here is a question I haven't seen addressed on here. My hubby, Rick, wants to know if he is allowed to bring any guns with him such as a shotgun for hunting purposes and possibly a handgun for protection. He is a big hunter and this is a burning question for him!! Is there someone you have to talk to or get permission from to do this?

#25295 - 09/04/00 03:45 AM Re: gun ownership on AC?
Marvel Offline
According to what I have read It is illegal to bring in fire arms or take them out. They do have a program people can turn their guns for cash.

#25296 - 09/04/00 02:37 PM Re: gun ownership on AC?
Rod Allen Offline
All guns in Belize are licensed and the procedure is quite lengthy. There are no garuntees that you will be granted a license. Do Not Bring these items to Belize unless you have your license in advance!!!
The laws are harsh for illegal firearms and ammunition. When properly licensed you can have 50 rounds of ammunition of the licensed caliber or guage....anything else is illegal and can be "Jail time". Do not take chances, they are serious!!!!
Rod

[This message has been edited by Rod Allen (edited 09-04-2000).]

#25297 - 09/04/00 03:01 PM Re: gun ownership on AC?
SP Daily Offline
Awhile back someone was busted for having one round of ammo... got 5 years in prison!

#25298 - 09/04/00 09:50 PM Re: gun ownership on AC?
kcbc Offline
I can see the use of a gun for hunting in Belize, but why in the world would he feel that he needs a gun for protection in Belize?15 years ago we had a friend arrested at the airport for also bringing in ammunition. He can personally vouch that having an dealings with the judical system in Belize is a living nightmare. His legal fees to get out of this mess where extensive and all because some friend just asked if he would bring him some ammunition. Unaware of the law he said yeah sure no big deal. Well the authorities thought that it was a big deal and he was arrested at the airport and went directly to jail. Remember that you are in a foreign country and you do not have the same rights that you are afforded here in the states.

#25299 - 09/04/00 10:50 PM Re: gun ownership on AC?
Rod Allen Offline
kcbc,
I have seen quite a few gun and ammo problems over the years...and the penalties have only gotten stiffer over time. OHHH!, the "liayers" love that situation. You will spend anything not to go to the "Hattieville
Hilton".
Rod

#25300 - 09/05/00 01:19 AM Re: gun ownership on AC?
Sandshaker Offline
Ms.V.....I guess deer is off the dinner menu huh?.....LOL Those in the know...please answer this. Is there a lot of hunting that goes on in Belize? What area of the country? What animals are game?
Thanks

#25301 - 09/05/00 02:18 PM Re: gun ownership on AC?
Rod Allen Offline
Shaker,
Hunting goes on on a very small scale in most rural areas of the country. The old 16
guage single shot is what you see most of the time. Deer and gibnut are the game of choice......so yes "Virginia", you can have
venison with your lobster. OOPS!, forgot the other game meat Pecarrie and Warrie
(wild hog family??)
Rod

[This message has been edited by Rod Allen (edited 09-05-2000).]

#25302 - 09/05/00 02:25 PM Re: gun ownership on AC?
SP Daily Offline
Deer and gibnut meats are usually for sale in the Belize City market... and sometimes served in restaurants right here in San Pedro.

#25303 - 09/05/00 05:15 PM Re: gun ownership on AC?
Sandshaker Offline
Thanks guys. Not big on hunting myself. Guess I would do it if I was starving, but I don't like killing things for sport. I'm an animal lover. People do ask sometimes though so I was curious. I figure as long as I can buy it....why kill the poor animal?
Thanks for your input!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,674 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,055 Topics
462,292 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.