Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#252910 10/14/07 02:36 PM
S
suz Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Does abyone know about using a paralegal versus an attorney in Ambergris Caye. It seems like you can use a paralegal but we are wondering if they any good to use to purchase property.

suz #252917 10/14/07 06:38 PM
Attornies here are much less expensive than in the States. Stick with an attorney, we just finished a purchase and it was the best money we have invested yet.

S
suz Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Funny you say that. Isnt an attorney 2% of the cost of purchase? Because that is more than what we pay in Canada. But we did think it is better to go by an attorney. By the way where did you buy a place.

S
S
The usual legal fee is 2% of the purchase price...attorney or paralegal.

"Attornies here are much less expensive than in the States."
Rather a broad statement! My wife and I completed a Home purchase of over 150K and the Attorney fee was $500.

Under the 2% rate that would have been $3000 +.

I do agree with you though to Definately get an attorney.

I am of the belief that Fees vary from state to state. Jusat as the broker fees do. I have no idea what the fees are in Canada, but I'm sure NOvascotianut or someone else can tell you.

S
S
Bill, did you make a cash purchase and get title at closing? Or did you purchase via Agreement for Sale where you will get title when you finish paying?

We bought 9 miles outside of Punta Gorda in Toledo district.

Jesse. We financed through our bank. They will hold title till I pay it off. I have a 30yr fixed mortgage. the lawyer was involved in making sure there was clear title and that the Bank agreement was solid. and that the Realestate agent had all the I's dotted and the T's crossed

Never Use money to measure wealth
S
suz Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Bill, would you be able to recommend you Lawyer's name to us.

suz #252944 10/14/07 11:28 PM
Suz.
I believe there has been a misunderstanding. I'm sure now that it is my fault. I initially replyed to Dabunk about his comment on Lawyers being less expensive in Belize as opposed to the U.S. What I was trying to convey was that that might not be necessarily so. As a 2% (of purchase price) number was mentioned as a lawyers fee in Belize.
I was attempting to point out that that was not always the case. The purchase I made was in South Carolina and the lawyer charged $500. Not a percentage of sale price.
I have not made a home purchase in Belize. I don't know any lawyers in Belize.
Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 284 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.