Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#254542 - 10/27/07 06:40 PM First time to Belize
bram Offline
Is it better to stay inland and travel to AC occasionally or the other way around? I will travel there for the first time and I will be alone. I just want a Cheap, quite simple place to kick back and enjoy the beach, food drinks shopping and meeting new people.

I am worried if I stay on the island for 2 weeks that will be too long. Is AC considered very touristy? will the beaches in late January be very crowded? I am used to going to small mexican coastal towns where I can find places to enjoy without alot of people around.
The other concern I have is the weather. I know that sounds crazy but my one experience with carribean side of mexico was clouds every afternoon and very windy. I am travelling from the western canada were I will leave the frigid weather behind and I want nothing but SUN SUN SUN.
What have you guys experienced?

One more question is about the water taxi. I see it takes 1 hour each way, does the ferri take an hour also? Is it safe to say that most people only take the taxi when they first arrive and to get back?

#254543 - 10/27/07 06:43 PM Re: First time to Belize [Re: bram]
elbert Offline
I think , other way around....and it is very much like a Mexican coastal town.

#254544 - 10/27/07 06:49 PM Re: First time to Belize [Re: elbert]
elbert Offline
Ferry and Water Taxi...? The Ferry from Belize City to the Island is one thing and after you are here you will find that the water taxi (called the Island Ferry)is how folks get around on the island. does that help?
If you stay on the San Pedro Proper side of the cut you probably will only use the water taxi to go to the restaurants on the north side of the river in the evenings you decide to dine out in style.

#254545 - 10/27/07 06:56 PM Re: First time to Belize [Re: elbert]
Mikeywaz Offline
I'm also interested in how easy/difficult it is to get to other parts of Belize from AC. We'll be in San Pedro for 9 days in Feb, but also would like to do some "adventure travel" on the mainland. We're willing to just wait and see what suggestions people we meet have and go with the flow. But advance advice wouldn't hurt. Any suggestions for cave tubing, zip-lining, Mayan ruins? Is it possible to do day-trips or is overnight required?

#254546 - 10/27/07 06:59 PM Re: First time to Belize [Re: elbert]
elbert Offline
The Weather....Well I promise no frigid wind or snow and guarantee you a little sun burn...everything else is up to God.

#254547 - 10/27/07 07:01 PM Re: First time to Belize [Re: Mikeywaz]
elbert Offline
The trips are offered from San Pedro as day trips to the mainland.
I highly recommend Lamani as a Mayan ruin trip.

#254554 - 10/27/07 08:40 PM Re: First time to Belize [Re: bram]
Scubabum Offline
Is Lamanai an all day - ten hour - deal or could you do it in say 5 hours if you flew over? Not that we want to be rushed, just not completely exhausted.

#254557 - 10/27/07 09:48 PM Re: First time to Belize [Re: Scubabum]
kris48 Offline
You could fly, but it costs a lot more, and most importantly you would miss a lot of the countryside, and the river trip, which are really important. If you do it on your own, as in fly to municipal, get to the river dock and go from there, the trip is just as long.

#254564 - 10/27/07 10:30 PM Re: First time to Belize [Re: kris48]
SimonB Offline
Tropic's tour flys to Tower Hill by Orange Walk and then takes you in by River. Beats the crowds and the day is much shorter.

#254609 - 10/28/07 03:20 PM Re: First time to Belize [Re: SimonB]
JZB Offline
I've done the tour both ways (With Tanisha and with Tropic). Although the boat trip through the mangroves is really cool, going via boat adds an extra 3 or 4 hours.

Plus if you take the tour with Tropic, you arrive at Lamanai in the morning before the crowds and before the jungle heats up too much.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (tazh2o), 41 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,077 Topics
462,353 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.