Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#25463 - 09/06/00 01:27 PM Coral scratches
PAUL T Offline
Another little predicament.... my wife managed to get to close to some coral at Hol Chan (she didn't break it, thank God) and scrathed the side of her leg. It's kind of weird because it's not heeling very quickly, it's been 5 days now since we came back home, and it burns her quite a lot. We haven't gone to the doctor yet, but is there something that she can put on it that we'll help. It's not like a normal cut. Is it coral poisoning or something ?

#25464 - 09/06/00 02:37 PM Re: Coral scratches
stevenalice Offline
I've been scratched by coral and had the same problem. It could be that the scrapes are just infected, which means some antibiotic cream or ointment should help the healing. Or, it could be a reaction to the coral's stinging cells. Some (maybe all?) corals have nematocysts, which are stingings cells designed to inject venom into prey (tiny amounts, but still could cause a reaction in humans). It's like getting stung by a jellyfish, and like jellyfish there's varying degrees of how much it stings. If the antibiotic cream doesn't do the trick, I'd go to the doctor.

#25465 - 09/06/00 02:53 PM Re: Coral scratches
Chloe Offline
Alice welcome to the board, you are very knowledgable, and we appreciate your info.
Dare To Deviate

#25466 - 09/06/00 03:22 PM Re: Coral scratches
Debbie Offline
My son had a small one as well. We took antibiotic ointment with us, and was glad we did. We used a triple antibiotic cream. It fights several different bacterias. Last year off of Cozumel, my husband got scratched on the coral pretty bad. It also took a long time to heal. The worst part was the scar. Very white. Saw several guides with these white scars in Ambergris as well. I'd go to the doctor if it's a bad cut........
Also go to Ambergriscaye.com/greenreef/
They have lots of information on the coral etc. They also have an email address and could help you with information. If anyone could help you, they could

[This message has been edited by Debbie (edited 09-06-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Debbie (edited 09-06-2000).]

#25467 - 09/06/00 06:04 PM Re: Coral scratches
PAUL T Offline
Thank you all

#25468 - 09/06/00 06:21 PM Re: Coral scratches
Sandshaker Offline
I haven't had a problem with coral yet...had a couple close calls though.
I always carry a bottle of meat tenderizer in my dive bag. It's good for jelly fish stings. The enzyme in it neutralizes the toxin. Don't know about coral scrapes though. I wouldn't recommend it though if you suspect it may be infected. It sounds very painful....ouch!
Makes me hurt thinking about it....LOL
I would agree that if the antibiotic cream doesn't help in a day or so....or at least see some improvement....see a Dr. before it gets out of hand.
Good luck and our best wishes for her speedy recovery!

#25469 - 09/06/00 06:35 PM Re: Coral scratches
This topic has gotten far too informative and serious. SS, does that mean that after getting a jelly fish bite you have to stay away from BBQs for a day or so? I just got a bottle out of the pantry and put it in SWMBO's dive bag. Told that you said she had to rub it all over before putting on her dive skin next time. It was an island tradition.

Seriously, any scratches from the sea that don't heal pretty quick need some sort of medical attention and advice. Right now we are fooling with a Caribbean ear infection from 2 weeks ago. (She also can't hear me very well, so it's working pretty GOOD).

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Shyboy), 28 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,718 Topics
461,262 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.