Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#254648 - 10/28/07 10:55 PM need help deciding which island
bram Offline
This will be my first time to Belize, I can't decide which island AC or CC is the best choice for me to stay at. I am a budget traveller, I did find Rubys hotel on AC for less than $25 for a single. Thats the range I am looking for. Has any stayedthere?
I also dont need the crowds, is one of these islands less busy? bigger? more popular than the other? Can you find a more secluded piece of beach to hang out on or are they always filled with tourists?

#254649 - 10/28/07 11:06 PM Re: need help deciding which island [Re: bram]
reaper Offline
Caye Caulker will fit your needs.

#254651 - 10/28/07 11:17 PM Re: need help deciding which island [Re: reaper]
seashell Offline
By the sounds of it, Caye Caulker is for you. Maybe even one of the other cayes, like Tabacco Caye.

#254661 - 10/29/07 01:36 AM Re: need help deciding which island [Re: seashell]
Cooper Offline
I live on Caye Caulker and think it is more what you are looking for. There are 5 or 6 places to stay for $20 or less, even on the beach. However the islands Motto is GO SLOW, we still have an abundance of restaurants, some night life and great live Rock and Roll, for the person on a budget it is overall less expensive, even snorkel and dive trips are less. You did not say when you are coming, at times its hard to find a place to stay.

#254665 - 10/29/07 01:56 AM Re: need help deciding which island [Re: Cooper]
bram Offline
I was thinking of going at the end of January for 2 weeks. I imagine this is a popular time of year.

What would you say the biggest difference is between AC and CC?

#254687 - 10/29/07 05:24 AM Re: need help deciding which island [Re: bram]
ScubaLdy Offline
Neither AC nor CC ever has crowded beaches. I found CC way too quiet and on AC you have a lot more choices. But then we all have our opinions.

#254762 - 10/29/07 08:51 PM Re: need help deciding which island [Re: ScubaLdy]
Cooper Offline
I am not sure if these places have websites but you can do a search for the following,
Marlas Place--$25 Very nice, near the split, great swimming area.
Tinas Backpackers Hostel from $18, great place to meet people on the beach'
Ignacios---- $18 very quiet more secluded and on the beach.
Happy Lobster has rooms above for $10 close to beach.
These places all have private bathroom shower etc. There are more places but this is a start. Yes the end of January is high season.

#254799 - 10/30/07 12:28 AM Re: need help deciding which island [Re: Cooper]
bram Offline
Both Islands sound good to me, I will need to make a decision soon. Can you also tell me what things cost there like Beer? food? I'm not talking fancy, just local or casual stuff. Just want to budget correctly.

One last (maybe) question. It sems that ATM's are not plentiful, or you won't be able to use an international ATM card. So, do most people bring american CASH or travellers cheques? Is it easy to cash travellers cheques?

#254808 - 10/30/07 02:01 AM Re: need help deciding which island [Re: bram]
Otteralum Offline
easy to use traveller's cheques, but I mostly use US cash -- just bring low denominations as change is always provided in Belize dollars

Locals will know better, but it seemed to me you could get by with about 10% less on CC overall. Both islands offer some good deals -- check the search feature on this page for restaurant info.

I love Ruby's (will be there in Feb myself), great people and good clean and inexpensive place. However, it can be a little loud -- it's in the middle of it all. You may prefer Pedro's Inn -- off the beaten path, but still on AC

Sounds like CC my be more your speed -- late Jan will be plenty hoppin on both islands.

#254812 - 10/30/07 02:16 AM Re: need help deciding which island [Re: Otteralum]
bram Offline
thats great. What about these tours I hear about, they seem expensive to me...can't a person take a water taxi or other boat to where the ruins are and tour around on your own?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (dabunk, JaHo, 1 invisible), 37 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,064 Topics
462,323 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.