Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#25470 09/14/00 05:00 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Hey all... I'm planning on staying Sep 30 through Oct 3rd and looked at the lodging section and the selection is pretty impressive. Anyway.... I was thinking of just showing up sat afternoon, walking around, get a feel of the area and see what's available then.

Does anyone know if there typically is a problem finding a place to sleep at this time of year?

#25471 09/14/00 06:08 PM
Some of the hotels would probably like you to book ahead, but, no, in October, you'll have plenty of choices. A few places could conceivably be booked on a given day, so if you have a place you just must stay at, I'd book ahead; otherwise, no, just show up and check around. Taxi drivers will try to take you to various places, most of which pay 20% or commission to them, but you'll probably get a better deal by stopping in and asking politely for the rate.

I personally like to know where I'm staying, but if you can stand the uncertainty, then go for it.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#25472 09/14/00 07:39 PM
I just have to know where I am staying.
I always feel, if I walk in with my luggage
and ask for their rates, they will view me as being desperate, and charge me more, not just San Pedro, anywhere in the world. Just a thought.

Dare To Deviate
#25473 09/14/00 09:32 PM
I'd book one night anyway, then wander town for your next night!

but to each his own!

#25474 09/14/00 09:57 PM
You will not be staying that long. Pick a price range, choose a hotel, and enjoy ya stay. What are ya looking for in a hotel and how much do you want to pay. Ask the board. You'll probably get too much help. PS. Its not whats inside the room, its what's outside of the room: Paradise.

Gone fishing!!
#25475 09/15/00 03:39 PM
F
OP Offline
F
thanks for all the responses! you people are awesome.

I actually do like the adventure of not knowing where I'll be sleeping and I feel like what Bill said. "It's not what's inside the room." I will be traveling solo so something close to night-life would be preferable. Well, not totally solo, my friend will be staying all week but he's got a big dive package thingy.

I also want to do some diving but don't want a full package because I don't want to feel like I NEED to be anywhere. As you can tell. I'm a very spontaneous vacationer. (I only booked the flight yesterday) ha ha....

I do like the idea of booking the first night though.

I guess I'm looking for the simgle party hotel (if there is one). Or if there isn't one.... I'd like something with a cool bartender, close to good food, on the water, close to a good dive operation.

No Sandles or Club-Med type stuff. No food/drink plans. Budget is not a problem, but nothing stuffy where I need to wear a golf shirt at the bar.

Thanks again for your responses.... I hope the people in Belize are a cool as you guys!

#25476 09/15/00 03:45 PM
T
T
I think you'll have an awesome time no matter where you stay...San Pedro is so cool!! I do know that where we stayed last week is booked for like the next 2 months...Journey's End on AC. But that's because they're filming a "reality" show there for Fox. I think Captin Morgan's maybe the same...not sure. But I would think in San Pedro you shouldn't have any problems with lodging. By the way...the food there is great...we didn't find a place we didn't like the whole week we were there...I give it two very encourging thumbs up!

Happy traveling!
Jill

#25477 09/15/00 04:05 PM
F
OP Offline
F
OK...... I'm psyched!

I looked at the picture of San Pedro and it looks awesome. I think I'm really gonna dig this place.

I was reading some other threads on the board however and it sounds like there is still construction going on for larger resort-type places. I hope this doesn't kill the mood there. That would be a shame I think.

I'm just bringing a couple pair of shorts and a few shirts. Do you know if there any camping there?

#25478 09/15/00 04:09 PM
T
T
Hmmm...dont' know if there is camping...but I'm sure you'll get some reply's. I do know you would be oh so wise to bring lots of mosiqitoe (sp?) repellent...those pesky guys will have a feast on you. We went through 4 cans of Off in 7days...really. Its expensive there, bring your own. I think we paid $10US for the one can we purchased in San Pedro.

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 208 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.