Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#257130 - 11/18/07 05:00 PM Jamaica considers gallows again.
Short Offline
Jamaican legislators consider resuming hanging
The Associated Press - Published: November 17, 2007

KINGSTON, Jamaica: Jamaican lawmakers are considering resuming hangings in response to rising violent crime, almost two decades since the last person was executed by the noose in this Caribbean nation.

Jamaicans have pushed for the measure, Karl Samuda, general secretary of Prime Minister Bruce Golding's ruling party, said Saturday.

"Based on our observation, there is a strong sentiment in the country for hanging to resume," Samuda said. "We want to make sure the people get their wish."

The last hanging occurred in 1988, and five years later, Britain's Privy Council — the highest court of appeal for many former colonies — ruled that inmates who spend more than five years on death row should receive life sentences.

The ruling, coupled with international pressure to eliminate the death penalty, has led to a reluctance among Jamaican authorities to order hangings. No other type of capital punishment has since been used.

No date has been set for the vote, although Junior Security Minister Arthur Williams has said he expects parliament to take up the issue "very shortly."

About 45 inmates are on death row in Jamaica, which reported a record 1,671 homicides in 2005 and is considered one of the most violent countries in the world.

Live and let live

#257200 - 11/19/07 02:21 PM Re: Jamaica considers gallows again. [Re: Short]
Amanda Syme Offline
I truly wish we could erect stocks in Central Park. We could all pop down to the veggie stands to collect rotten fruit and vegetables and then practice our aim at the petty thieves and assorted trouble makers.

I don't think we would want to erect gallows on the island, but maybe a statue of a noose placed just outside the gates of Hattieville might might serve as a reminder of previous hangings and discourage some of the violent criminals that are now roaming the country.

#257202 - 11/19/07 02:39 PM Re: Jamaica considers gallows again. [Re: Amanda Syme]
elbert Offline
I saw gallows at the old prison in Belize city back in the 1980's.
I think the privy council won't allow capitol punishment in Belize any more.
and probably not your throwing rotten tomatoes at folks either.
I don't think we have violent criminals roaming the country, you really need to watch CNN a little.
The Dive Shops Daily Blog

#257212 - 11/19/07 04:20 PM Re: Jamaica considers gallows again. [Re: elbert]
Interesting question as to whether the Privy Council is now subservient to the European Court.

#257215 - 11/19/07 05:43 PM Re: Jamaica considers gallows again. [Re: Amanda Syme]
Short Offline
Stocks in Central Park to practice our aim at thieves and trouble makers with rotten fruit and vegetables would surely become a great tourist attraction... that's a win-win situation!
Live and let live

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Marty), 34 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,711 Topics
461,244 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.