Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#257703 11/26/07 12:53 PM
OP Offline
Wow, for all those complaining about their internet speed:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7112373.stm

Belize has fibre-optic dsl in many places, including Ambergris Caye.

what speed are you getting?

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
S
S
138 down
54 up

What fiber optic based ADSL? BTL has fiber in their backbone, and they are upgrading their network every day, mostly to support next generation services like IPTV. This work is happening primarily on the mainland. There are currently no fiber optic cables coming to/from Ambergris Caye. All back haul to the island is delivered via microwave dishes affixed to towers. DSL by definition means copper lines:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADSL

That being said, I would love if someone were to offer 10Mbps or even 50Mbps to the internet... Buying a dedicated 10Mbps line from BTL today would cost you upwards of $30,000 BZD a month.

After all, BTL's total aggregated capacity to the internet is under 150Mbps.

S
S
Fiber optic was laid in San Pedro after Hurricane Keith took out the pole lines.

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
I don't know all the technical details, but in the UK I have the slowest and cheapest service provided by the local cable company - internet and telephone for the equivalent of Bz$70/month. But compared with Belize it flies - screens are refreshed almost instantaneously, any you-tube clip I select plays perfectly and instantly, my own uploads and downloads are rapid and secure, and VoIP works like any wired phone. Absolutely wonderful compared with BTL's pathetic and very expensive offerings.

Originally Posted by SimonB
Fiber optic was laid in San Pedro after Hurricane Keith took out the pole lines.

But what does it do? I'm not debating it is there... probably being used to connect BTL's facility to Coral Cable... maybe a few of the banks. Microwave back haul is still the only way *off* the island. One of my customers here was promised fiber, but it was never delivered. Fiber isn't DSL, and it doesn't make BTL's standard service any better or cheaper... and certainly doesn't put Belize on any list of "broadband leaders". I guess that was my original point - Belize is WAY behind.

I pay 30.00us @ month for 10mbs cable broadband (Insight) & it is great

Belize is WAY behind

Amen to that.....slow is one thing but then unplugging and replugging in the router two or three times a day and/or disabling/enabling the wireless connection on laptop....those things are just unheard of in most parts of the world

Change your Latitude

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.