Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#258046 - 11/29/07 05:09 PM Black plastic floating in water
pamkillen Offline
I have been noticing that there are pieces of black plastic floating around the water front. I just removed a black plastic bag from being wrapped around the pier. Whoever has started to use these giant black plastic bags, please dispose of them properly. This is a new garbage stream, at least in greater amounts. The other day I pulled quite a bit of black plastic out of the water as well. It looks fairly gross.

#258047 - 11/29/07 05:12 PM Re: Black plastic floating in water [Re: pamkillen]
SP Daily Offline
Could be coming in from sea...much of the debris on the beaches has been traced to other places. We are on a lee shore...

#258049 - 11/29/07 05:18 PM Re: Black plastic floating in water [Re: SP Daily]
elbert Offline
I have always suspected Mexico was dumping their garbage at sea as I rake the beach of plastic garbage but I have noticed as of late that a lot of it is definitely local.

#258050 - 11/29/07 05:20 PM Re: Black plastic floating in water [Re: elbert]
SP Daily Offline
A survey some years ago revealed the source of much beach trash to be Honduras...sent here by currents and wind.

#258054 - 11/29/07 05:53 PM Re: Black plastic floating in water [Re: SP Daily]
Amanda Syme Offline
And of course we have been experiencing a lot of wind directional changes lately. I have watched drift wood float onto the shore, then get picked up and pushed out again for days on end.

#258055 - 11/29/07 05:55 PM Re: Black plastic floating in water [Re: Amanda Syme]
SP Daily Offline
You've got too much time on your hands Amanda

#258056 - 11/29/07 06:00 PM Re: Black plastic floating in water [Re: SP Daily]
Amanda Syme Offline
nope, babysitting somebody's puppy. not getting much sleep. just watching the tide roll away!

#258064 - 11/29/07 07:07 PM Re: Black plastic floating in water [Re: Amanda Syme]
pamkillen Offline
I spend a lot of time on the water and there is quite a bit more black, fresh, plastic around. And there are large bags that look like they are for construction debris. Someone has started using these bags and is not keeping tracking of them

#258065 - 11/29/07 07:18 PM Re: Black plastic floating in water [Re: pamkillen]
SP Daily Offline
What areas are you seeing most of them? If you could track them back to the source then something could be done to stop this problem.

#258144 - 11/30/07 09:36 AM Re: Black plastic floating in water [Re: SP Daily]
seashell Offline
I spend a lot of my free time picking up garbage, broken glass, nails and sh*t . . .I can't wait until the school kids get better educated about all the crap that they should be picking up instead of strewing around.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 30 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,015 Topics
462,188 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.