Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#258289 - 11/30/07 07:05 PM My Childhood Idol is Gone!
reaper Offline
I know it will be hard for some of you to believe that my childhood idol was Evel Knievel.
I was seven when I watched him live on Wide World of Sports crash over the fountains at Caesars Palace. What a showman!
I have a picture on top of the mound he built his ramp on for the Snake River jump in Twin Falls, Idaho. It is still there to this day.
Like many of you, I have scars from "Evel like" attempts. I even jumped a Flexible Flyer sled into a pile of stacked firewood (it ended very badly!)...as a kid it was so cool to jump anything, like next door kids laying down on the street, to the family pets, etc.

So how many of you have Evel induced scars as a kid????

Fly Free Evel...

#258291 - 11/30/07 07:25 PM Re: My Childhood Idol is Gone! [Re: reaper]
PalapaBob Offline
It's amazing he lasted this long after all the jumps I saw him try didn't end exactly "as planned". Yeh, I have my copycat scars! Amazing what a big deal his stunts were way back when.
I've already told you more than I know.

#258292 - 11/30/07 07:51 PM Re: My Childhood Idol is Gone! [Re: PalapaBob]
Scuba do Offline
Well,I took my Honda dirt bike and tried a jump,on the way up my rear tire hit a tree root and I slammed into another tree head first,removing the bark from the tree with my head.
People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care

#258293 - 11/30/07 08:02 PM Re: My Childhood Idol is Gone! [Re: Scuba do]
Rykat Offline
Yup! My childhood idol is gone also.

Henry Hyde(R) Illinois congressman gone at 83!

Hey at least I didnt get any "scars"! :-)
GOP - The Party of Lincoln.

#258294 - 11/30/07 08:44 PM Re: My Childhood Idol is Gone! [Re: Rykat]
Banana Beach Offline
Where was Evil Kneivel from??? ;-)

#258295 - 11/30/07 08:49 PM Re: My Childhood Idol is Gone! [Re: Banana Beach]
sweetjane Offline
i am a wimp, so, no scars.

but, yes, a showman. the stunts were a very big deal back then. i do remember the anticipation - my folks gathering us all in front of the TV to watch his next jump.

fonzie jumping the shark was sacrilige.

#258301 - 11/30/07 10:24 PM Re: My Childhood Idol is Gone! [Re: sweetjane]
reaper Offline
Just a good ole Butte, Montana boy...and he played hockey!

(Rykat, you were no child when H.H. was impeaching Willy, even after his own affair! His support of Reagan during Iran Contra and his savings and loan debacle were sad. At least he was anti abortion and started out a Democrat...)

Back to Evel...

There are very few "happenings" on TV anymore that evoke thoughts of "where was I when that happened"?, unless it is a tragedy like 9/11 or the shuttle crashing.

Evel could get every kid on the block to stop playing and watch. It was like waiting for Christmas for me the weeks leading up to the rocket bike jump, you just knew he was going to do something dramatic...

Maybe we're just all too busy anymore or we get to damn many TV channels to create a buzz like Evel, an Ali fight, the Olympics, or even MNF used to do!

And scuba do...that story explains Alot!!!!!!!

#258311 - 12/01/07 02:19 AM Re: My Childhood Idol is Gone! [Re: reaper]
CROC Offline
He was a

Not the best Idol to have he should have gone long time ago

#258313 - 12/01/07 04:13 AM Re: My Childhood Idol is Gone! [Re: reaper]
Rykat Offline
reaper, you can have evel Ill take Hyde and I was only three when he had sense enough to switch parties. wink Now thats a brilliant mind!!! smirk
GOP - The Party of Lincoln.

#258319 - 12/01/07 08:59 AM Re: My Childhood Idol is Gone! [Re: Rykat]
Leah-Ann Offline
Love those Montana boys!! wink
I can never remember which is better . . . safe? . . . or sorry?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 106 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,709 Topics
461,235 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.