Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#258540 12/03/07 01:20 PM
I
Indyguy Offline OP
OP Offline
I
I'm planning on making an extended (1 to 2 year visit) to CC Belize and am planning on taking Rosoe (18lbs. Bichon Frise) with me. If anyone has had any experiences taking a dog with them to Belize via the U.S. or other, I'd love to hear of your experience and any suggestions that could make life easier for us regarding the travel.

Right now we're talking to the airlines and we seem to be getting conflicting information from the people we talk to. We'd rather take him as carry on to avoid having to put him in Cargo. It appears that all airlines have different policies regarding animals. Our little guy is right on the board line regarding weight for carry-on however he does fit in a carry-on carrier.

We have a good handle as to what BZ customs requires and are confident that won't be an issue. However, the airlines is a different story.

Any and all information regarding travel with a furry loved one would be greatly appreciated.

C
C
Hi IndyGuy,
My papillion (9.5 lbs)DeeOGee made 18 round trips to Belize with me, over a 3 year span. We flew US Air all but one trip. I never had a problem with the airlines at all regarding the trip. She fit in a large carry-on, which was approved by the airline, however, they would ALWAYS tell me that it didn't fit completely under the seat in front of me. So, I would carry a blanket, and cover up my legs, thus covering the case until we were off the ground. My vet would give me "doggie downer" pills and she would get one the morning we would travel.
One word of advise, make sure you have copies of your permit to bring Roscoe into Belize!! Just because you have paid you $, and had conversations, don't think they will absolutely have your paperwork. Out of DeeOGee's 18 trips, we had to pay a "fine" when they couldn't "find our paperwork", over half the time. It actually got to be a joke, I'd just walk in with the $ out already, and tell them to just let us go instead of looking for the paperwork.
That said, it has been 2 years since I last flew in with her, so maybe it has changed.
Good luck with your BZ stay, and kisses to Roscoe.

Hey Indyguy...how tall is Rosco? I have a papillion that I want to bring with me, he's old and I'm very afraid of him flying cargo. He is under 15 pounds, but I think he's too tall to fit under the seat. I think he's 12 inches at his shoulders, and I think the limit is 9 or 10. What size carriers do you guys have for them? We will be coming down in January, and I would like to be able to fly my little critter in the cabin with me. Thanks for the info.
Oh yeah, Continental sounds like it is the best for flying animals in the cargo area. It's pressurized and climate controlled. Good luck...

Live so that when you arise in the A.M, Satan shudders & says..
'Oh sh t..she's awake!'
I
Indyguy Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Thanks for the info, I'm hoping everything will end up alright we're just concerned that his weight is right on the border line. The carrier that we have for carry-on is approved and it's the typical "airline" carry on luggage size, whatever those dimension may be. Roscoe can fit it when he lays and sits but he looks a little uncomfortable as he's unable to stand up in it. But with the proper dosage of some drugs we're confident he'll sleep the whole way.

Thanks again...

Also if there's any more info regarding anyone who's carried on a 18lbs. Dog who snuggly fit into a carry dog carrier. I'd love the reassurance.

C
C
To carry your dog on the plane it has to be able to fit under the seat in a carrier big enough for it to turn around in, this is during take off and landing it cant be on your lap. I have brought dogs here and just wont ever do it again, it was easy getting them here, but island life can be tough on dogs not imune to all the things here. We have so many dogs needing love and homes I now own Island dogs,

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
Very admirable, Cooper. But, if you have dogs who have been a part of your family for years, you aren't going to leave them behind. We are bringing two dogs with us. If, God forbid, something happens to either one, we will adopt an island dog there. But, not going to leave my babies behind to avoid having to deal with the hassles. They are both very adaptable, will live their lives out with us, and then, we will adopt again.

Live so that when you arise in the A.M, Satan shudders & says..
'Oh sh t..she's awake!'
S
S
Pets are family, if you had kids would you leave them behind?

On a side note: Debbie, why do you try and guilt people out about bringing down their pets? In my experience animal lovers are the ones most likely to adopt more pets from the Humane Societies around Belize. You may have had a bad experience but it isn't common.

Last edited by SimonB; 12/03/07 08:47 PM. Reason: Aded comments.
C
C
The only thing I have to add is that people I have known (around the Placencia/Maya Beach area) who have brought dogs from the States is that they don't do well with the botflies and tick fever etc. Maybe AC is different because it is an island. I think that native potlickers have an immunity to the local bugs and disease (to a point; I've seen some awfully mangy dogs around San Ignacio)

S
S
True, but as long as you keep up on the meds for your pets they'll more likely have a better life here on the island than they would anywhere else. BC's on a Sunday is as good as it gets in a dog's life.

Botflies are a rarity on AC, tick fever is reality and you most DEFINITELY need to keep up on the meds, Potlicker or otherwise.

C
C
Listen, I love and loved my dogs, I brought Shante down here, and it killed her, with all the good food and good love, vet care tic and flea colars she died. Its hard to keep a dog from drinking standing water, especially during rainy season. when she got sick we had to take seats out of tropic air plane to get her to the city. I am not trying to scare people, its just information. I dont want people to loose their beloved pets. I do alot to try to suppoet our humane society, I am more active than most of you in helping our animals. I go around during dry season putting water out in places around the island, DONT BRING UP LOVING PETS AS FAMILY TO ME!!!!!! My next dog was only out in the yard for 5 minutes, but poison had been set out for the dog accross the street, and Sheaba ate it up. You ever seen a dog die of cyanide poisoning, ITS HORRIBLE!! The dog I have now was practically dead when I got him, hes fine now, hes a champ, and I have to watch over him like a hawk. ITS TOUGH FOR DOGS HERE, if you think its not you just have not opened your eyes. Even if you do bring your pet down its best to have all the info you can have, it would not be right to let folks think all is well with the dog world here. If you think it is get invovled with your local shelter vet etc. If you are coming to Caye Caulker Belize Dive Services handles most our vet services, picking up strays and spaying and neutering them, going around the island giving homless animals their shots, the money for this comes out of their own pocket, they also provide great Dive trips and Padi certification.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 261 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.