Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
azbob Offline OP
OP Offline
I can't take credit for writing this but it fits my feeling perfectily. I have only changed and/or added a few words:

The other day a young person asked me how I felt about being old. I was taken aback, for I do not think of myself as old. Upon seeing my reaction, she was immediately embarrassed, but I explained that it was an interesting question, and I would ponder it, and let her know.

Old Age, I decided, is a gift.

I am now, probably for the first time in my life, the person I have always wanted to be. Oh, not my body! I sometime despair over my body, the wrinkles, the baggy eyes, the sagging butt and big belly. And often I am taken aback by that old person that lives in my mirror (who looks like my Dad!), but I don't agonize over those things for long.
I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful life, my loving family for less gray hair or a flatter belly. As I've aged, I've become more kind to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend. I don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie, or for not making my bed, or for buying that tool I didn't need, but I can find it. I am entitled to a treat, to be messy, to be extravagant.
I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it if I choose to read or play on the computer until 4 AM and sleep until noon?

I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 60&70's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love ... I will.

I will walk the beach in a swim suit on Ambergris Caye that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set.

They, too, will get old.

I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And I eventually remember the important things.

Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car? But broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face. So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.

As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore. I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer your question, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day. (If I feel like it)

MAY OUR FRIENDSHIP NEVER COME APART ESPECIALLY WHEN IT'S STRAIGHT FROM THE HEART!
MAY YOU ALWAYS HAVE A RAINBOW OF SMILES ON YOUR FACE AND IN YOUR HEART FOREVER AND EVER!

FRIENDS FOREVER!

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
azbob, which I assume stands for bob in AZ, you exhibit true bob-ish qualities. As I sneak up on 60, this philosophy above is what keeps me from even considering feeling sorry for myself. I have gained so much over the years that it would be foolish to mourn what little I have lost (heck, if a mile really needs to be run, I'll HIRE someone to do it). I have wisdom (such as it is) I have friends (not just "current" friends) I don't spend a lot of money following fashion trends (I probably still have a leftover current trend in my wardrobe). I care less what people think of shallow thoughts. Hey, I'm happier than I have ever been. I have those that love me, for whatever reason, and those I love.
I wonder sometimes what the younger or more vain think of us when we smile at them. Little do they know. He he he. smile

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
E
E
Geeze Bobber, you look a lot older than 60 and your memory IS slipping! grin

E, don't force me to hire someone to come over there and kick your butt. smile

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
E
E
OK laugh

LOLOL @ Bobber! Good one! grin

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
azbob Offline OP
OP Offline
Bobber, you are right on! I'm sneaking up on the 65th happily and looking forward to spending that B'day on AC 3/3/08. I have followed the "boarding" with great interest and pleasure and hope to meet all of you.

By the way, Bobber, AZBob does stand for Arizona Bob. You already had the best one, so this was all that was left. Also, I DON'T THINK I NEED BEERS. I KNOW I NEED BEERS!!!!!

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
Beautifully said, azbob. I agree with you 110%.

Live so that when you arise in the A.M, Satan shudders & says..
'Oh sh t..she's awake!'
did i hear ,,BEERS?

I am finding real joy in telling people that I am 70. A few years back there was a fellow diving with me at Hustler who was 70 and everyone was marveling at that. Well, I finally got back in the water after my knee surgery and my buoyancy and air consumption was better than it has ever been. I've done 7 or 8 days of diving over the last two weeks and it was great.

About 20 years ago I said that I wanted to live to be very very old. I wanted to get to be so old I could fart anytime I wanted to. I have reached my goal.

Way to go - kids!

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.