Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I am looking at flying from the International airport in Belize to San Pedro on their last flight at 5:40 since our plane lands at 4pm ( hopefully that is their local time) After reading some posts that it is better to fly from here rather than Municipal due to the lateness of my flight and hoping that if there are any delays that we can still get to San Pedro that night. I would rather save some bucks but worried about getting a flight on Municipal.

I am looking at Maya Island Air and Tropic air for 2 people roundtrip $218

Looks like both have the same fare price. So is there a difference ?
Also the hotel in San Pedro offered to make reservations for me has anyone done that before?
And one more question, about how many people fit in those little planes and more importantly how much luggage can I take?

Last edited by islabonita; 12/19/07 09:53 PM.
S
S
where are you staying in SP? We stayed at Changes In Latitudes and the girls there made our arrangements on Tropic. I'd do it that way again. I don't think they charged a "convenience charge" to do it for us. Just be sure that you give the hotel your arrival info. They can also tell you if you'll be able to make your flight to SP. Trust them, they're in this business and do it all the time. We flew into International and not Municipal and it went smoothly- I think it was about 1.5 hrs between flights and it wasn't a problem unless you get held up at customs. Pack well and if you get flagged be VERY nice to them. The stories I've heard!

do I have to get shots to go there? 8o)
Boy - are you in for an interesting ride! The planes may not be as little as you imagine. One of Tropics new planes holds 25 people (or so I was told.) Most of the planes carry 12. If you are lucky you may get a chance to sit in the co-pilots seat. Do not expect any conversation but the view is terrific. One day - in the very off season - there were only two of us going to Municipal and they put us on a four seater. Now that was a ride!
We all have our preference and mine is Tropic. My experience is that from International they fly until all the incoming tourists have been transported. Not so at Municipal; their last flight is 5:30. I know there are people who don't believe in reservations and just show up - but why? There is no savings in that. Let your hotel/resort make your reservation for you if you don't want to make your own on line. So they make a couple of bucks for their service but it doesn't cost you anything.
You might consider going into Municipal on your way back. If there are two people it is a break even money wise (after paying the taxi) and more than two definitely a savings. Beyond that is the fact that you will get a nice ride and travelogue on the way.
Tropic will transport whatever luggage you brought in with you.

Last edited by ScubaLdy; 12/20/07 12:02 AM.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
I'm with Scubaldy on this one. Especially the part about flying to Municipal on the way back.

OK, I guess I wouldn't do that because I always want to spend as much time in SP as I can before I have to go home. However, what I do want to say is that if one only had a choice to fly in OR out of Municipal, then I prefer the experience of flying INTO the Municipal. Quite cool.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

i dont think i was ever charged by a hotel to make the reservations, nor had a problem if they did. if you have too much luggage, they may put some in another plane (the next day?). don't overpack, you wont need that much stuff on AC.

i'm with scubalady that flying in that li'l plane is one of my fave parts of the trip (it's all about the views), and i'm with ss that i want to fly off that island at the last possible second...

look:
http://www.pbase.com/sweetjane/image/74408316

http://www.pbase.com/sweetjane/image/18066864

enjoy!

Nice pics SJ -- I too love the ride -- it's awesome!

I was a little taken aback our first trip when the only seat left available was the co-pilot position...

[Linked Image]

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
J
J
You could also fly to San Pedro and take the water taxi back to Belize City. Unlike flights in the US, you don't get horribly overcharged by buying a one way ticket.

LOL, nice face, otter laugh !

i never get to sit up front - due to my size, i just walk up every time and say "all the way in the back, right?".

OK - Jane - quite bragging that you are a little bitty thing! I never am asked to ride in the back as I am a really big thing!

I fly out of international on American which leaves at 3:42. They would like me to take the 1:00 from San Pedro but that leaves a lot of down time at the airport there. If I take the 1:00 I may as well go to Belize City and taxi to international. Just a thought!

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
OP Offline
Well after figuring things out.. it is only about a $25 savings if I go into Municipal on the way back.( no way can I survive a 90 minute boat ride)
Hubby and I are staying in 3 different locations. first at Belize Legacy and they will pick me up and drop me back off into town. 2nd place Corona
3rd place..Xanadu, so my arrival is very late 4:00ish so I was planning on taking the last flight that Maya air has scheduled 5:40.( what time does it get dark?)
Coming back I could do the Municipal since our flight is around 12:20 but that only saves us $25 according to my calculations
$114 going down $60 going back $20-$25 taxi ride total $199
Vs $218 flying in and out of International.. is that right?

Last edited by islabonita; 01/10/08 12:16 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.