Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#261037 - 12/31/07 06:27 AM Tips for the staff
hphjan Offline
Is it better to leave "things" or money for staff? If "things" what?

#261043 - 12/31/07 01:31 PM Re: Tips for the staff [Re: hphjan]
Sun&sand Offline
$$$$ is always appreciated. We also leave what ever hasn't been opened in the fridge for our people, except, of course, the Belikins and Lighthouses...that goes in the closet for next time.
We put everything in a bag, and place on the top shelf of the fridge, and leave a note for them. It is always appreciated, at least they always tell us they have used it. Most likely just take it home and add to the six million packs of unpopped corn they already have.
It never hurts to ask them if they can use the foods, it's better than throwing it away..and they can always use the money.

#261179 - 01/02/08 03:34 AM Re: Tips for the staff [Re: Sun&sand]
hphjan Offline
Thanks for the input. We would definately leave behind any unopened food and gladly tip the maid. What is the usual daily tip rate for the maid?
As far as things, are there any items that are hard for the locals to get. We went to the D.R. and things like crayons, pencils/pens, make-up and clothing were suggested. Is there anything of that nature that locals may need?

#261182 - 01/02/08 04:12 AM Re: Tips for the staff [Re: hphjan]
seashell Offline
No, not the staff. They can always use money. San Pedro is not like Cuba or DR.

If you want to bring down things for the poor kids, contact Tacogirl.

Edited by seashell (01/02/08 04:12 AM)

#261232 - 01/02/08 06:02 PM Re: Tips for the staff [Re: seashell]
tacogirl Offline
I am sure that most staff would have kids or know kids who would be glad for things you give them. While you can get stuff here many things are definitely cheaper stateside, and also when you do not get paid much then what you are able to buy is directly affected as you tend to think necessity over luxury.

I would say a trip to dollar store even if you wanted to leave some things in addition to money for tip.

#261430 - 01/04/08 12:01 AM Re: Tips for the staff [Re: tacogirl]
hphjan Offline
Thanks tacogirl, I'll see what cute things I can find at the dollar store.
Still wondering what the normal daily tip is for houskeeping staff???

#261437 - 01/04/08 12:18 AM Re: Tips for the staff [Re: hphjan]
kris48 Offline
We usually leave $2-3 US, three if she does the dishes. We usually stay at the Palms, which does have a built in service charge (10%), so we feel this is above and beyond the service fee. At the end, we leave all kinds of left-overs, including bug spray to shampoo to change. Have generally left about $12-$15 in change in Bz.$. Last time, due to a bunch more folks, we left a lot of unopened food, and hope that someone was able to use it. By the way, you do have to tell them it's for them. They will not touch a dime left out, unless they know for a fact it's for them.

#261440 - 01/04/08 12:37 AM Re: Tips for the staff [Re: kris48]
tortuga Offline
I usually tip a dollar per person staying in the room per day. That way if different people end up cleaning the room, they all get their tip. I leave it on the bathroom sink with a note saying thank you so the girls know it's for them.

#261441 - 01/04/08 12:39 AM Re: Tips for the staff [Re: tortuga]
klcman Offline
At least one well known resort has those ubiqitous envelopes, with the maid's name written in it. Where are you staying?

#261540 - 01/04/08 04:47 PM Re: Tips for the staff [Re: klcman]
Phil Offline
Our housekeeper gets on average around US$40 - 50 per week for the two or three bedroom house, but we don't have a service charge.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 44 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,077 Topics
462,353 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.