Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Hey just thought I should share this info - maybe everyone knows about this except me! I was clearing away some mangrove branches that were trimmed and left at the edge of our property today. After picking one up I felt a sharp stingin pain in my palm. I did not see any bees around or snakes - all I noticed after looking at my palm were a couple very small black hairs. After only a short time my palm and then whole hand began to hurt A LOT; burning pain, radiating out from the sting site, getting redder, severe throbbing aching pain in the joints all the way up to my wrist. Having been bitten by spiders before, I realize this was something else. My husband figured out since I saw those little black hairs that it must have been what they call urticating (stinging) hairs from a caterpillar - he knows of a green one that lives on mangrove branches that can have this effect - and man, if you have sensitivity, it REALLY HURTS. At the time the only thing that helped was ice, tylenol did nothing. I felt the effect of the venom all the way up to my shoulder, and at this time, almost 10 hourse later, I still feel aching pain in my finger joints and significant burning pain in the palm area. Just thought I'd pass it along.

Keepin'ItReel FishingTours&More AlbertoTrejo 6255373
6709986 reelitinbelize@yahoo.com
S
S
Kharma from cutting mangrove?

OP Offline
i didnt do the cutting - and i am against removing mangroves - but anyway they were not being removed only trimmed a little. and you could be right!

Keepin,itReel,
I would make out a will as soon as possible. grin

Last edited by elbert; 01/07/08 09:05 AM.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
No really effective home first aid treatments for caterpillar stings are available. Adhesive tape or transparent tape may be used to pull out some of the broken spines in the sting area. Washing the area thoroughly with soap and water may help remove some of the irritating venom. Prompt application of an ice pack or baking soda may help to reduce pain and prevent swelling. Antihistaminic drugs, often administered for bee and wasp stings, are reportedly ineffective. See a physician if severe reactions occur. Very young, aged or persons in poor health are more likely to suffer severe reaction symptoms.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
I would ask an old timer on the island about a local cure. I bet there is one.

Hey girl, I am so sorry to hear this. Thank you for posting about it as it is good for us to know. Did you run into or talk to Tina? Maybe she would know.

Last edited by Kra-Z-K; 01/07/08 10:46 AM.
OP Offline
good suggestions thanks - yes I looked up what I could do on the web and tried the baking soda poultice but ice definitely had the greatest effect. It's still a little sore and achy today but getting much beter thankfully. I assume these guys could be found on any type of leafy vegetation so just be cautious - it says on the sites I saw that if the hairs got into one's eye (unlikely) it can cause permanent damage. As for local remedies, well my husband made me drink a glass of lime juice followed by a glass of milk - could't hurt I guess wink

S
S
I should think antihistiminic drugs should have some effectiveness as they stop some of the response that causes the itching and redness. I do not know what types of medications you can get with/without a prescription in Belize but I think you should invest in some steroids (medrol dose pak in the states or just some 20mg tablets and use a taper regimen) they will decrease the inflammation (the aching should subside) and will stop an allergic response. I would hate to see this happen to you again. Just my thoughts.

C
C
Red Mangrove itself is highly toxic and some people that touch or handle it get bad skin reactions.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.