Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#261992 - 01/08/08 02:09 AM Costa Maya Reef Resort
robynhude Offline
I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the Costa Maya Reef Resort. I didn't see anything other than location on this site under lodging. Since I am checking in on the 19th I'm a little worried that I cant find anything on here. Thanks for any info you can provide!

#262003 - 01/08/08 03:14 AM Re: Costa Maya Reef Resort [Re: robynhude]
CaroleD Offline
Hi Robyn
I stayed there in August and am planning on staying there again this summer. What do you want to know? I did a review on Trip Advisor with a lot of info.
Carole

#262097 - 01/08/08 05:36 PM Re: Costa Maya Reef Resort [Re: CaroleD]
robynhude Offline
Hi Carole,

Thank you for responding and thanks for pointing me to trip advisor. I read the reviews and noticed they were quite mixed. So I have a few questions smile

What is the beach like? Do you think the one bedroom is large enough to house 3 adults? What is the food like? What are the best day trips to take?

Any other info you could provide would be great!

#262117 - 01/08/08 07:34 PM Re: Costa Maya Reef Resort [Re: robynhude]
bec Offline
Hey Robyn....We are going to the CMRR also mid February.

Although some of the reviews have not been favorable, I think for the most part it looks good. We travel quite a bit thru interval international and most of the resorts seem to be the same. If you are looking for "fancy" your SOL. If you are looking for relaxation, sun, and more sun in February then this is probably going to suit. Vacations are what you make of them
and I can't wait to make this one a great one!

I spoke with Ruth, who was there when Carol was there and she said she had a good time. Food was good, rooms good. They had a 2 bedroom (which is what we got), but my brother took the one bedroom as well. I'm sure it will be fine for 3 adults.

Hope you have a great time. Look forward to your review when you get back.

#262141 - 01/08/08 08:48 PM Re: Costa Maya Reef Resort [Re: bec]
robynhude Offline
Thank you Bec,

I appreciate the info. I am going in a couple of weeks and really looking forward to it. Although I live on the beach in souther cali, it is freezing here (by our standards anyway grin)

#262150 - 01/08/08 09:22 PM Re: Costa Maya Reef Resort [Re: robynhude]
Coco Loco Lady Offline
If there is anything I can help you with, I'd be glad to. We were @ Costa Maya in Feb and Nov 2007. I am a owner @ this timeshare. The one tip that I would give you, would be to buy the Island Ferry Pass, it's unlimited rides back and forth to town for $50pp. We found that we used it alot. I'm not sure if Costa Maya is offering it yet or not. But you can contact Island Ferry before you leave home and have it set up.

As far as the 3 adults in a one bedroom, as long as you don't plan on spending much time in the room you'll be fine ~ it could be a bit tight though.

#262309 - 01/09/08 06:42 PM Re: Costa Maya Reef Resort [Re: robynhude]
CaroleD Offline
Hi Robyn
Glad you found the reviews. We loved it there. Search the resort name or my user name and you can find the link to my pictures.
Besides the Island Ferry pass you may want to order food and beverages from Lagniappe Provisioning. Your unit will then be stocked with whatever you order. You can get groceries in San Pedro but it can be a real pain schlepping them around town and off and on the ferry especially if you buy cases of beer.
We were in a 2 bedroom unit so I cannot comment on the size of a one bedroom for 3 persons.
The beach is OK. We really never spent any time on it as we were diving every day. If you want to swim you either have to get thru the sea grass or go off the pier.
Regarding the food, we only ate one lunch and one dinner at the resort and found the food to be good.
Regarding day trips, as I said earlier, we went diving every day that we could. If you are not a diver but like to snorkel I would recommend the Shark Ray Alley & Hol Chan trip with Belize Academy of Diving which is on site. If you get to talk to Tracey or Craig please tell them Mike & Carole said "hi" and are hoping to see them this summer. The only day trip we did was Xunantunich Ruins(?sp) and cave tubing. We really enjoyed both activites but it was a long day and most of the time was spent traveling to the destinations.
Hope this answers some of your questions. If you have any others, hopefully I can help.
Carole

#262358 - 01/10/08 12:36 AM Re: Costa Maya Reef Resort [Re: CaroleD]
robynhude Offline
Thank you Carole and Coco. I appreciate all the info. We do plan on doing the cave tubing. Do either of you or anyone else know what the deep sea fishing is like? While my friends are diving I was thinking about fishing. I like to eat them versus swim with them smile Although I will go snorkeling around the reef!

#262359 - 01/10/08 01:19 AM Re: Costa Maya Reef Resort [Re: robynhude]
Coco Loco Lady Offline
I have never done any deep sea fishing on AC however if your interested I do have a capt. that I use for reef fishing. We always fish/snorkel/beach bbq with him. We always catch a ton of fish/he'll give you some that he has filet so you can cook them at a later date. Also if your interested in doing your own shopping Ritchies will deliver your groceries to the dock, just let them know what time your catching the boat to go back up to Costa Maya and which boat. You can take kayaks out to Mexico Rocks and snorkel to your hearts content ~ Kurt will help you out the 1st time if you like and point out alot of things to you. If you see Kurt tell him Marla & Glenn say Hi.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 30 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,036 Topics
462,242 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.