Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#262194 - 01/08/08 07:59 PM Travel Insurance?
lakegirl Offline
Hi everyone,

This board is always so helpful so I thought I would throw this question out there!!

My dad has lung cancer with a recent diagnosis of mets to the brain. He is going to be getting radiation and right now he is doing fairly well. My worry is that things may change and we are all set to arrive 2/28 thru 3/8.

My questions are-
Should I purchase travel insurance? If something does happen will they give me problems because this may be considered a "pre-existing" condition?

Can you purchase insurance even though this has been booked for several months?

Any advice would be great as I have never puchased travel insurance before!!

Thanks eveyone so much.

#262211 - 01/08/08 09:19 PM Re: Travel Insurance? [Re: lakegirl]
kwalkpt Offline
Travel insurance pays for your airfare and hotel room if you cannot make the trip. If you can "afford" to lose the money then the insurance might not be worth it. However, I would really look into evacuation insurance. There is no hospital here on the island and not really any doctor here that can give him the help he might need. (There is a doc that can help assist getting him off in case of an emergency). Need to check to see if they cover pre-existing. Just looked into it because my 80 and 84 year old parents are coming down to visit and want to make sure they can get home if something happens to them.

#262223 - 01/08/08 10:01 PM Re: Travel Insurance? [Re: kwalkpt]
colomojo Offline
You may want to check with your credit card company. Some cards have "built in" travel insurance - It never hurts to clarify with them what they truly cover. I don't think you can purchase travel insurance after you have booked but there may be someone out there who does sell it. I don't know this for sure because I have never tried to buy after booking. Also I would check with the Airline, they may just charge you $50 or $100 to change the itinerary if you do have to leave.
Live Laugh Love

#262229 - 01/08/08 10:09 PM Re: Travel Insurance? [Re: colomojo]
Yes, it's closer to medical insurance. You will probably find it very difficult to get a new policy now, given your father's condition, so i'd investigate any possibilities of existing cover in places you may not have thought of - such as credit cards.

In general I think you can purchase travel insurance at any time, but coverage won't be retrospective AND they'll look hard at any claim to see whether you took out the insurance in good faith.

The issue you have to consider, though we all hope it won't happen, is the possibility of a forced medical evacuation.

#262234 - 01/08/08 10:39 PM Re: Travel Insurance? [Re: ]
ckocian Offline

#262240 - 01/08/08 11:39 PM Re: Travel Insurance? [Re: ckocian]
reaper Offline
Without insurance it will cost about $28,000 to get flown to the US in a medical transport jet.

There are MANY loopholes in the policies and you need to read them VERY carefully.

This is from experience.

#262242 - 01/08/08 11:59 PM Re: Travel Insurance? [Re: reaper]
seashell Offline
I could be wrong of course, but it looks to me like lakegirl is not taking her father with her. She's enquiring as to whether or not, travel insurance will cover her if she has to cancel/return due to her father's ill health.

Frankly, it is hard enough to get any travel insurance with teeth in it specific to one's own health.
A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#262244 - 01/09/08 12:06 AM Re: Travel Insurance? [Re: seashell]
colomojo Offline
That was what I took from the post - Either way - hopefully her dad will remain doing fairly well and she can enjoy AC without any worries.
Live Laugh Love

#262259 - 01/09/08 09:17 AM Re: Travel Insurance? [Re: colomojo]
captjeff Offline
lake girl call me at 1 800 231 7447 dail 0 and ask for capt jeff .....I have some knowledge on this very subject As I am in the travel business and will share the info with you ..Want to help you live the dream and have a great trip,,....

Edited by captjeff (01/09/08 09:20 AM)
Living The Dream Every Day!

#262266 - 01/09/08 09:53 AM Re: Travel Insurance? [Re: captjeff]
6string Offline
I was told you can take out travel insurance anytime up to 30 days or something before departure. Personally, I don't use it.... I dunno if that's a good plan or not, but so far its been fine.
Maybe Capt Jeff could summarize a bit for us?
M. Sjulstad
M&M Trivia - JAMPT UP Band

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 74 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,633 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,706 Topics
461,226 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.