Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#262225 - 01/08/08 10:03 PM What is local, fresh, and good to cook.
deej Offline
I am traveling with two chefs to AC soon and would like to experience and cook some of the local foods. If someone could tell me what to get and where to get fresh and local items to cook ourselves I would appreciate it.

#262227 - 01/08/08 10:06 PM Re: What is local, fresh, and good to cook. [Re: deej]
colomojo Offline
I would take a fishing trip, I've never done it personally but I've heard it is a great time.
Live Laugh Love

#262231 - 01/08/08 10:11 PM Re: What is local, fresh, and good to cook. [Re: colomojo]
Kra-Z-K Offline
Dido. What a fun and great experience. Go fishing, have them clean up the fish and take it to a restaurant to prepare.

You'll find you won't save too much cooking yourself on vacation and you'll find plenty of local restaurants that offer local dishes to try.

#262238 - 01/08/08 11:35 PM Re: What is local, fresh, and good to cook. [Re: Kra-Z-K]
Caye Connect Offline
Fruits - banana, papaya, mango, pineapple, watermelon
Veggies - potatoes, carrots, cabbage, onions, eggplant
Fish - snapper, grouper, barracuda, mahi, tuna
Shellfish - lobster, conch, stone/spider crab, shrimp (locally farm raised)
Breads - flour/corn tortilla, anything from the French bakery
Chicken - comes from the mainland, some say it is heavily hormoned.

There are bunch of things (too many to list) that are hard and/or impossible to find, but your chef friends can definitely whip together some delicious items with what is available here.

#262248 - 01/09/08 07:17 AM Re: What is local, fresh, and good to cook. [Re: Caye Connect]
crockhunter Offline
You truly haven't experienced belizezn foods until you have had gibnut, also known as the "royal rat."

#262303 - 01/09/08 12:07 PM Re: What is local, fresh, and good to cook. [Re: crockhunter]
Barbara K Offline
I have never seen gibnut available on the island though. Had it on the mainland and it is usually available in Belmopan, some times in Bz City. How about Iguana too?

#262312 - 01/09/08 01:01 PM Re: What is local, fresh, and good to cook. [Re: Barbara K]
Sun&sand Offline
I understand the papaya crop was pretty devastated by the hurricaines. Are they available on the island? Are they really expensive now?
Live so that when you arise in the A.M, Satan shudders & says..
'Oh sh t..she's awake!'

#262317 - 01/09/08 01:39 PM Re: What is local, fresh, and good to cook. [Re: Sun&sand]
tacogirl Offline
Lion has it listed on his bbq sign he may be a good one to ask for gibnut
tacogirl Facebook, Belize Life Linked In - Belize info & images https://www.facebook.com/tacogirl

#262570 - 01/11/08 11:02 AM Re: What is local, fresh, and good to cook. [Re: tacogirl]
Keepin'itReel Offline
my husband is a great local fishing guide and he also happebs to be fab cook (great ceviche, fish bbq on the beach) - give us a call at 011-501-607-9986 or 625-5373 or send a message here or at email below and he can take you out for that authentic fishing/cooking experience wink

Ariadne & Alberto "Caco" Trejo
Keepin'ItReel FishingTours&More AlbertoTrejo 6255373
6709986 reelitinbelize@yahoo.com

#262571 - 01/11/08 11:05 AM Re: What is local, fresh, and good to cook. [Re: Keepin'itReel]
travelqueen Offline
Hey Ari! Hope the family is doing well!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (tazh2o, Sailorgirl), 31 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,632 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,698 Topics
461,211 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.