Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#262496 - 01/10/08 10:52 PM Internet, or lack of it
As is usual the service I am currently getting is appalling. Pages take several minutes to load, if at all. I don't know if I am particularly unlucky and if so what to do about it. I'm using Coral Cable's middle service, which is expensive enough as it is. Actual performance comes nowhere near what's stated, something I have come to expect whenever BTL is involved. About the only thing BTL seem good at is cutting people off if they're a day late in paying.

I needed to connect to several web sites this evening, but after an hour and a half of trying I have to abandon it. I also can't access my email properly.

Why do we accept this?

#262503 - 01/10/08 11:54 PM Re: Internet, or lack of it [Re: ]
seashell Offline
Are you sure it is the service and not your computer?
A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#262506 - 01/11/08 12:21 AM Re: Internet, or lack of it [Re: seashell]
No I'm not - I find it impossible to discover. Once after my internet had failed completely (external wiring fault) I asked the guys from Coral Cable about performance, and one of them ran a test on my machine. Machine passed the test, but internet performance was still lamentable.

Do you know how I can find definitively where the problem lies?

#262508 - 01/11/08 12:33 AM Re: Internet, or lack of it [Re: ]
seashell Offline
I'm not the one to ask, that's for sure. What I can tell you is that I was having trouble with mine a while back and a friend told me that my memory was full of junk and I had to go in and clear some of the crap out.

Here are the instructions he gave me:

"Go to Start, Settings, Control Panel. Click on Control Panel, then double click Internet Options. This brings up the Internet Properties dialogue box. It has tabs on top, and when it opens, it should be on the first tab that says General, go down to where it says Temporary Internet Files, and click the Delete Files button. A warning box will come up that asks if you really want to do this. There is also a little box you can check to delete all offline content. Check that box and then click OK. If you have never done this before, it may take a few minutes. This is where all of your memory went. You need to do this once a week or so. These files are hidden on your hard drive, so you don't see them with Explorer."

Another way you can tell if it is your computer, is go to Desk Top and go to the icon for your Computer. Or where ever you find it. Click on that, and a dialogue box comes up with tabs at the top. Click on Properties. It will show a bunch of stuff but one of things it should show is at what capacity your computer is running or something like that. Anyway, it is expressed as a percentage. Your computer should be running at better than 73% for good performance. 80% is better.

Mine is running at 62-65% some times, and I can't get a thing done. Today it is not too bad, who knows why? But I can guarantee you, my problems are not related to my service.

Best of luck.
A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#262517 - 01/11/08 08:43 AM Re: Internet, or lack of it [Re: seashell]
I do this regularly/frequently, as well as checking the registry, defraging the disk, and scanning for viruses and malware. When I'm in the US or Britain the machine flies.

#262523 - 01/11/08 08:56 AM Re: Internet, or lack of it [Re: ]
dogmatic prevaricator Offline
I generally use Jack Daniels to clear my memory.
If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.

#262524 - 01/11/08 08:58 AM Re: Internet, or lack of it [Re: dogmatic prevaricator]
dabunk Offline
Pedro2 got to this site:

It will measure your upload and download speed, separate from your computer processes.

#262530 - 01/11/08 09:12 AM Re: Internet, or lack of it [Re: dabunk]
SP Daily Offline
135/52 on my BTL 128 in San Pedro

#262540 - 01/11/08 09:29 AM Re: Internet, or lack of it [Re: SP Daily]
dabunk Offline
Also you can click control/alt/delete at the same time.

that opens up Windows Task Manager, click on the performance tab. That shows your CPU usage. If youhave programs running that you are unaware of it will show in high CPU usage.

#262541 - 01/11/08 09:30 AM Re: Internet, or lack of it [Re: SP Daily]
Just tried it - download 95, upload 111. I don't know what the numbers mean but I believe it's unusual to have download speeds lower than upload - in England my download speed is 10 times the upload speed.

I just ran the test again. This time 85/113. Upload speed roughly the same, download even slower.

And a third time - 99/64.

Am I right in thinking that these figures are abysmal? And that they are connection rates, not dependent on my machine?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Still a Bronco fan, 1 invisible), 22 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,687 Topics
461,188 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.