Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#262688 01/12/08 08:38 AM
B
OP Offline
B
If you purchase beach front property are you allowed to build your own private pier? If so how far out can you build it and who would you recommend to do the work?

JZB Offline
You first need approval from the town board and a permit from the Ministry of the Environment in Belmopan.

JZB #262703 01/12/08 10:01 AM
Also, be aware that no piers can be 'private'.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

collyk #262723 01/12/08 01:07 PM
I just completed this very lengthy process. There is not a clear yes/no answer to this question.

First is the location of he land.
Second is are there other piers in that area.
Third is have your land neighbors already applied for and been approved but have not yet built?

The town council must approve the request, then then Ministry in Belmopan, then a final approval again by the town council.

The process took me about 8 months to complete while living here in the US. But I don't think living there would speed the process much as I hired three different locals all with "political connections" to help me. I also went personally to the contact person for the town council and also personally took the town inspector with my contractor to the site.

My contractor has lived and worked constuction on the island for over 30 years. He knows everyone and everyone knows and likes him.

Buy the land first, worry about the sea wall / pier later. The pier is "Queen's beach" or public property. Although some people have constructed gates/locks, they have done so illegally. If anyone wants to sit, fish or dock on your pier they have a right to do so.

If planning to build one in or very near to town you can pretty much forget it, you'll not likely to get approval. The local government wants to limit the concentration of piers.

Future full time Belizeans
Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
Tommy is on to how difficult it can be and frustrating.
Limiting the number of piers is what they say as they give permits to everyone. Its quoted about min. distance between dock but not followed. The Ambergris Caye Planning Authority is said to give permits but it seems they only give recommendations to Belmopan.
I've never see any enforcement or anyone with a tape measure.From time to time you'll hear that there is a moratorium on building piers but watch them go up constantly.
A large part of the problem is confusion in Government about how its done. There is an expression in Mississippi that describes this very well, Its a total 'Goat [#%!] '!

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 356 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.