Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#2628 - 10/01/00 07:05 PM caye caulker
Christopher Offline
Just talked with Caye Caulker again and the lines are still open as of 11:45 your time.
Lots of palm trees being taken down at the moment and hearing that this sucker is turning further south is very disconcerting
chris

#2629 - 10/01/00 10:13 PM Re: caye caulker
Christopher Offline
SAN PEDRO, AMBERGRIS CAYE CONTINUES TO BE
BATTERED BY HURRICANE FORCE WINDS
Residents living along the coast in Consejo, Corozal Town, San Fernando(Copper Bank) and Sarteneja have been urged to move to higher ground and into sturdy shelters immediately. Hurricane Keith is now a Category Four
storm and is expected to strenghten. The National Weather Service in Miami,
Florida most recent Advisory(Advisory Number13) posted 12:00pm reports:
...Dangerous core of hurricane Keith partially onshore over Southeastern Yucatan and northeastern belize...extreme damage is likely due to storm surge...strong winds...and torrential rains. A hurricane warning remains in effect for the east coast of the Yucatan Peninsula and belize from Cabo
catoche southward to monkey River town. A hurricane watch remains in effect for the north coast of Yucatan from west of Cabo catoche to Progreso. All interests in the northwestern caribbean and southern Gulf of Mexico should monitor the Progress of this system. At 1 pm CDT...1800z...the center of
hurricane Keith was located near latitude 17.9 north...longitude 87.7 west or about 55 miles...90 km...southeast of chetumal Mexico...and about 50 miles...75 km... East-Northeast of belize city. Keith is essentially stationary...but over the past few hours has drifted a little to the southwest. Little overall motion is expected over the next 12 hours...and a slow northwestward motion is expected to
begin within the next 24 hours. Maximum sustained winds are near 135 mph...215 km/hr...with higher gusts. Some weakening is forecast during the next 24 hours. Hurricane
force winds extend outward up to 35 miles... 55 km... from the center...and tropical storm force winds extend outward up to 140 miles...220 km. The last pressure reported by
reconnaissance aircraft was 942 mb...27.82 inches. Heavy rains are affecting portions of the Yucatan Peninsula...belize ..Honduras...guatemala and nicaragua. These rains could produce life-threatening flash floods and mud slides. Storm surge flooding of 9 to 12 feet above normal tide levels...
along with large battering waves...are likely over portions of the warning area. An anemometer on San Pedro Island in the
west eyewall reported sustained winds of 83 mph before the instrument failed. Gusts to 110 mph have also been reported. power lines are reported down in belize city. Repeating the 1 pm CDT position...17.9 n... 87.7 w. Movement stationary. Maximum sustained winds...135 mph. Minimum central pressure... 942 mb. For storm information specific to your area or products issued by your local weather
office. The next advisory will be issued by the National Hurricane Center at 4 pm CDT. Forecaster Franklin 01:57pm...Priminister Addresses the Nation On the Hurricane Situation 01:48pm...Major accident reported at mile 34 on the Western Highway.
01:42pm...For People who wish to travel from dangriga to Belmopan, it is safe to travel from Dangriga to Belmopan.
12:40pm...San Pedro on the fringe of the western eye wall, being battered by
hurricane force winds. Belize City experiencing wind gusts from 30 to 50
MPH. Winds around Belize City and Ladyville expected to increase.
12:28pm...Power Lines being affected in Belize City and Laydiville area. Lamp
Posts are falling and leaning. Trees and branches also breaking and falling.
10:09am...Winds in San Pedro now 80 to 100 MPH.
09:00am...Situation in San Pedro worstening. Debri flying around...70+MPH
winds, branches falling, no power except for emergencey generator power.
08:00am...Flights in and out of Belize International Airport have been caqncelled.
Below are recordings of the latest news and discussions on Love FM regarding hurricane Keith. Click the Refresh button on the top of your browser to get all the latest Updates. Chat Room.
Prime Minister Addresses the Nation (1:57pm)
Reports From San Pedro (1:56pm)
Reports From Corozal Town (1:45pm)
Latest from Love FM (1:00pm)
Update from San Pedro (12:45pm)
Update from San Pedro (9:10am)
Update from the National Meteorological center (8:45am)
Update from the National Meteorological Center (6:30am)
No Need To Evacuate Belize City Yet (5:40am)
Update From Caye Caulker (5:30am)
NEMO Advises Evacuation of Corozal Coastline (4:15am)
Report from Orange Walk Town (3:50am)
Update from San Pedro (3:40am)
Report From Belize City Mayor(3:15am)
Update from Meteorological Center (3:00am)
Accident Reported on Western Highway (2:45am)
Report From Belmopan (2:30am)
Report From Sap Pedro (1:20am)
Report From Corozal Town (1:08am)
Report From San Pedro (12:40am)
Report From Orange Walk (12:37am)
Update From National Meteorological Center(11:55pm)
Report From NEMO Headquaters(11:05pm)
Report From San Pedro (11:00pm)
Situation in San Pedro (10:30pm)
Update from the National Meteorological Center

#2630 - 10/01/00 10:29 PM Re: caye caulker
Christopher Offline
Well, unfortunately the phone lines to the Caye are now reported busy, which could be either busy or just plain down...Have been able to call up ultil this point in time.
chris

#2631 - 10/01/00 10:45 PM Re: caye caulker
Sanibel Offline
I think this information is a little old now and the hurricane is probably just finishing up on San Pedro. The eyewall has collapsed and the storm has taken a noticeable westward direction (changing once again). This is in line with the weather service prediction for a turn over the Yucatan.
The storms western flank is being worn down by land friction and is weakening the entire system. The stationary and strengthening predictions are probably no longer valid.

#2632 - 10/01/00 11:46 PM Re: caye caulker
Marty Offline
Well Marty the good news is that I Irene am in Texas the bad bad news sis that our house and my loving husband is in the eye of the storm, Keith. I spoke to Mo this am at 7:00am Belize time and it was blowing 60+ and a lot of stuff blowing around. Our Palapa was being blown away...Not only that we are full, all four rooms! When it rains it pours. Yesterday evryone was so excited they were watching waves break over the reef, today all hell brkoe lose. The elec. has been down since last night and of course the phones went down this am.

Hope all is well there, but that jerk Keith will not move.

Irene, Lazy Iguana B&B

#2633 - 10/01/00 11:50 PM Re: caye caulker
Marty Offline
The eye has stalled. Still between Caye Caulker and San Pedro. Caye
Caulker has been getting it for eight and a half hours, with sustained
winds varying from 110 to 140 mph. Average of 120 mph. This has got to
have done a lot of roof damage. But the wind is still coming from the
north west. Which is a blessing, if there can be one in these circumstances.
6:30 p.m. Sunday notice is NO CHANGE IN POSITION. The storm is dropping
in intensity though. Down to 110 mph in the worst gusts, so Caye Caulker
should be getting between 95 and 110 mph gusts. Not good, but not as bad
as earlier today.
At this rate it looks like a weary six hours more of this pounding for
Caye Caulker and San Pedro. Still no communication with anyone on Caye
Caulker. Got word my grandchildren are off the island. They went
yesterday morning to Dangriga. My grown daughters Diane and Tina are
still there though. As is also Marty's sister I believe.

#2634 - 10/02/00 12:38 AM Re: caye caulker
jimtex Offline
Irene, I hope all is well with Mo. Please let me know what I can do to help. At least give me a call or E-mail me at --> sailing@constant.com. "Tex"

#2635 - 10/02/00 12:49 AM Re: caye caulker
Marvel Offline
Good Word Marty that the kids are safe!

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,006 Topics
462,170 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.