Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#262898 01/14/08 12:14 PM
B
OP Offline
B
I hope you folks don't get tired of my questions but I have another.

The question is, If you have a monitored security system in your house or business and the alarm sounds and the local police are notified of the alarm by the monitoring company do the police respond in a fair amount of time or will they respond at all.

S
S
No and No.
The best security system here has a large horn or siren plus a strobe light...enough to unnerve the thieves and chase them away.

JZB Offline
A large loud dog also helps.

B
OP Offline
B
Thanks Jesse. That would work fine on the homes and businesses but that might unnerve some folks in condos and apartments.

S
S
So unnerve them! They'll help chase the bad guys away.

B
OP Offline
B
lol ok

B
OP Offline
B
Hey Jesse,
Have you got any info on living in Progresso Heights area. The reason I ask is because that looks like where I'm probably going to be starting at. If all goes well there for a year or so I plan on investing in some property in AC. Or maybe even sooner who knows.

Belize wannaB. No monitoring co. either
When I call the police they want to know when I can come get them.
I quit wasting my time with calling the police and reporting things to them years ago.
i might have a bad attitude :-)

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
S
S
Ask on the Belize Forums...lotsa people with info on that area.
http://www.belizeforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

B
OP Offline
B
ok thanks guys for the info

Boy, some of you guys are soooo jaded when it comes to the police department. I guess you can only remember the negative instances but not the success stories. I suppose having worked with the police fairly closely over the years has allowed me some insight that the average citizen doesn't have.

T
T
From my own recent experience I found the police to be very helpful. They helped me solve my problem and gave me a ride as well. Grateful for their help.

elbert #262929 01/14/08 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by elbert
Belize wannaB. No monitoring co. either
When I call the police they want to know when I can come get them.
I quit wasting my time with calling the police and reporting things to them years ago.
i might have a bad attitude :-)

Too funny!!! You made my day!

M. Sjulstad
M&M Trivia - JAMPT UP Band
6string #263114 01/15/08 09:05 PM
P
pedro2
pedro2
P
I'm afraid I have positive reasons for having a much less rosy view of Belize police than is acknowledged here.

Last edited by pedro2; 01/15/08 10:25 PM. Reason: to remove detail
#263116 01/15/08 09:25 PM
I have had very positive experiences when dealing with any issues involving the police and was very grateful and happy.

Kra-Z-K #263120 01/15/08 10:26 PM
P
pedro2
pedro2
P
You obviously haven't ever crossed any of the local mafia.

#263121 01/15/08 10:50 PM
Not sure I agree with that...and sure some others who know me well probably wouldn't either. However if you are correct I sure am lucky! smile

Kra-Z-K #263154 01/16/08 10:00 AM
I'm not saying they aren't polite and helpful. I think their encounter with the General public are probably just fine.
One issue I have is when , for instance you might witness someone breaking into someones home , reporting it sometime gets a response of ' the owner of the house has to complain' that seems to me to be an incorrect response, bear in mind I'm living north and they would have to find transportation to respond. It may also be an excuse to not bother with the transportation problem. The tediousness and time consuming filling a report with the police is another reason I don't bother. Low man on the todem pole seems to get the duty of recording your complaint. Understanding English , spelling and writing skills are usually very low and slow with this person, and I wonder if frustrating the complainant might be a way of lessening the work load.

White Sands Dive Shop
elbert #263157 01/16/08 10:21 AM
S
S
An elementary school education is all that is required to enter the Police Academy. The whole system is screwed up. Look at the conditions they have to live in out here. Nonetheless, it's no excuse for excessive police brutality on a regular basis (not just with those who report it), extortion, drug trafficking and gross inefficiencies.

Those that are sincere in serving and protecting Belize must feel even more helpless.

SIN

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
P
pedro2
pedro2
P
I've been pretty harsh in my assessment of the Police throughout the country and I don't withdraw that. I have very good reasons. But I am all for "policing" in general, and in England nearly became a special constable - I was approved but opted for the TA (voluntary army) instead. I am deeply opposed to corruption, and I'm afraid that's what I see here. Not just in the police, but at all levels of government and "officialdom". So long as we all just shrug our shoulders and accept it as the way things are done here it will continue, will become even more deeply entrenched, and will probably get worse. If "fitting in" necessitates turning a blind eye to corruption then I'm happy not to fit in. But I'd rather it weren't this way.

I'm not saying that at an individual level all police here are corrupt, or even inept. Each is certainly true in some cases, but I know individual officers who do a pretty good job considering the pressures they're under. At a practical level, can't we agitate politically to get sensible funding for the police, so numbers and remuneration can both increase? THEN we can reasonably start demanding more accountable behaviour.

#263165 01/16/08 11:54 AM
Glad to see you back SIN. I totally concur with your post above.

Mark the calender, Amanda and I both agreed with SIN on Jan.16 2008

White Sands Dive Shop
elbert #263180 01/16/08 01:38 PM
S
S
In speaking with a friend (Superintendent of Police for this area) he had some ideas on how to contribute to better policing. Again, something our gov't should do, but something we could do to help fill the vacuum of underfunding and lack of attention.

Some ideas discussed included fund raising for a inexpensive bunkhouse, humble but a huge leap from their current living quarters. Something I'm sure most don't see. Also, the idea of different restaurants offering meal rotation and some other ideas intending to offer the officers a more positive living experience while stationed here, sponsored by the very residents and businesses that desperately need professional policing. Symbiosis.

It was mostly "thinking out loud". Maybe someday with enough support things can be changed for the better. Until then, hire Mr. Smith and Wesson to help.

SIN

Mr Sig and Glock were over for tea just the other day.

I like the idea of the meal rotation - sounds like something doable. That would be a nice project for somebody to run with.

My attitude works for me :-)

White Sands Dive Shop
elbert #263198 01/16/08 03:29 PM
i work in a restaurant in the states, and the police get free coffee, tea or soft drinks...and they eat for half price...they tend to look out for us...

kerry #263280 01/17/08 09:18 AM
I'm going out and buy a box of donuts and see what happens.

White Sands Dive Shop
elbert #263294 01/17/08 09:50 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Hey E.... If you get them at 1/2 price would you mind springing for a couple of éclair's for me.... thanks

S
S
I think with enough funds raised, a very nice Mennonites type building could be erected where the current shack is, allowing for a communal kitchen (save on meal costs) and private bathing facilities. I'm sure the hardware and furniture stores will make donations in kind. This may certainly add to the moral and professionalism of our officers on the island.

They have time off too. How proud would they feel while family is visiting them in their own apartment.

Perhaps the annual Policeman's "scrapbook", what do they call them?, where you get a sticker?, the PBA I think. Or a better idea, selling ad space for a vinyl telephone book cover (cheap to print). Something we all need. Imagine what the bars, restaurants, tour companies, pizza joints and rental companies would pay to be on the OUTSIDE of the telephone book.

SIN

Somethings gotta give to make this better. The current rotation every three months doesn't seem overly affective.

SIN

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.