Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#262997 - 01/15/08 10:58 AM New computer,New programs,Old Dog
elbert Offline
Is it just me or has microsoft screwed up with vista?
I had XP and everything worked wonderful now problems with compatibility and nothing seems to work right. frown
any of you pros know some magic tricks?
Did i make a mistake going to Vista? I thought it was just a keeping up with the times move

Edited by elbert (01/15/08 10:58 AM)
The Dive Shops Daily Blog

#263000 - 01/15/08 11:13 AM Re: New computer,New programs,Old Dog [Re: elbert]
SP Daily Offline
The "experts" have declared Vista a disaster.

#263001 - 01/15/08 11:14 AM Re: New computer,New programs,Old Dog [Re: elbert]
Vista is an abomination. I know no "end customer" who has stuck with it. Not only does it have an unfamiliar and unhelpful human interface, it is also extraordinarily resource hungry and is just as full of bugs and loopholes as XP ever was. Many people in the industry think that MS will drop it and go back to a development of XP.

Much XP software won't work with Vista and you'll have to buy new versions.

Strongly advise you go straight back to XP and don't waste your time on Vista. If you want help doing it just call me. Was it also a new machine, or did you install Vista on a machine that previously ran XP?

#263005 - 01/15/08 11:30 AM Re: New computer,New programs,Old Dog [Re: ]
dabunk Offline
No magic tricks, go back to XP if possible. Vista alone can take up to 15 GB on the HD and requires 1 GB ram to work adequately. Put it on a computer with 512 MB ram and it barely runs.

#263008 - 01/15/08 11:36 AM Re: New computer,New programs,Old Dog [Re: dabunk]
elbert Offline
Wow Thanks , I'm going to scrap it right now before i invest any more time with this can of worms , Thanks again guys

#263009 - 01/15/08 11:37 AM Re: New computer,New programs,Old Dog [Re: dabunk]
azbob Offline
Agree, agree, agree. I won't go there until I'm forced to. I've bleed to many times. My MIS department is fighting with Microsoft and have dug their heels in on coverting. Trouble is all new pc will come with Vista loaded! Help!
"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO

#263010 - 01/15/08 11:55 AM Re: New computer,New programs,Old Dog [Re: elbert]
elbert Offline
A second thought. I just got of the phone with the guy that sold me my new computer and vista, I'm going to give it another week. The problem is largely me and new tricks. Yes to Vista being the memory hog.
My thinking on giving it another week is that in the future I wont have a choice but to go to vista and vista will be less of a new trick.

#263011 - 01/15/08 11:57 AM Re: New computer,New programs,Old Dog [Re: elbert]
SP Daily Offline
But still an old dog...

#263013 - 01/15/08 12:11 PM Re: New computer,New programs,Old Dog [Re: SP Daily]
Marty Online   happy
if you have continued trouble, have XP installed onto it. most new machines will take it

#263016 - 01/15/08 12:22 PM Re: New computer,New programs,Old Dog [Re: Marty]
I don't think we'll eventually have no option but to go to Vista. It has had such a consistently bad press, and elective sales have been so low (as opposed to compulsory sales where they put it on a new machine) that MS are likely to drop it. They'll dress it up as a development of course, but the end result will be that we'll move back to something like XP.

The unfamiliarity is indeed a major issue and that will improve with time, but there are some absolutes. It really is a lousy operating system and you would do best to get shot of it immediately. The guy who sold you the computer will be under (indirect) pressure from MS to make you stick with Vista so he is far from unbiased. Trust me Elbert, NO-ONE stays with it. In any case, the software that currently doesn't work will NEVER work and you'll have to buy new versions.

You will have no difficulties loading XP and the machine will probably run a lot faster. The only issue you'll face will be locating the device drivers needed for XP, as Vista ones are different and you can be sure you haven't been provided with the XP ones. Just another lever to force you along the new path. But I did this for someone recently and drivers are a nuisance, not a problem.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
5 registered (WWIII, Pokey, 3 invisible), 40 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,684 Topics
461,182 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.