Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
Is it just me or has microsoft screwed up with vista?
I had XP and everything worked wonderful now problems with compatibility and nothing seems to work right. frown
any of you pros know some magic tricks?
Did i make a mistake going to Vista? I thought it was just a keeping up with the times move

Last edited by elbert; 01/15/08 10:58 AM.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
S
S
The "experts" have declared Vista a disaster.

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
Vista is an abomination. I know no "end customer" who has stuck with it. Not only does it have an unfamiliar and unhelpful human interface, it is also extraordinarily resource hungry and is just as full of bugs and loopholes as XP ever was. Many people in the industry think that MS will drop it and go back to a development of XP.

Much XP software won't work with Vista and you'll have to buy new versions.

Strongly advise you go straight back to XP and don't waste your time on Vista. If you want help doing it just call me. Was it also a new machine, or did you install Vista on a machine that previously ran XP?

No magic tricks, go back to XP if possible. Vista alone can take up to 15 GB on the HD and requires 1 GB ram to work adequately. Put it on a computer with 512 MB ram and it barely runs.

elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
Wow Thanks , I'm going to scrap it right now before i invest any more time with this can of worms , Thanks again guys

White Sands Dive Shop
Agree, agree, agree. I won't go there until I'm forced to. I've bleed to many times. My MIS department is fighting with Microsoft and have dug their heels in on coverting. Trouble is all new pc will come with Vista loaded! Help!

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
A second thought. I just got of the phone with the guy that sold me my new computer and vista, I'm going to give it another week. The problem is largely me and new tricks. Yes to Vista being the memory hog.
My thinking on giving it another week is that in the future I wont have a choice but to go to vista and vista will be less of a new trick.

White Sands Dive Shop
S
S
But still an old dog...

if you have continued trouble, have XP installed onto it. most new machines will take it

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
I don't think we'll eventually have no option but to go to Vista. It has had such a consistently bad press, and elective sales have been so low (as opposed to compulsory sales where they put it on a new machine) that MS are likely to drop it. They'll dress it up as a development of course, but the end result will be that we'll move back to something like XP.

The unfamiliarity is indeed a major issue and that will improve with time, but there are some absolutes. It really is a lousy operating system and you would do best to get shot of it immediately. The guy who sold you the computer will be under (indirect) pressure from MS to make you stick with Vista so he is far from unbiased. Trust me Elbert, NO-ONE stays with it. In any case, the software that currently doesn't work will NEVER work and you'll have to buy new versions.

You will have no difficulties loading XP and the machine will probably run a lot faster. The only issue you'll face will be locating the device drivers needed for XP, as Vista ones are different and you can be sure you haven't been provided with the XP ones. Just another lever to force you along the new path. But I did this for someone recently and drivers are a nuisance, not a problem.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 268 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.