Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#263433 - 01/18/08 09:45 AM Election day ???
godinski Offline
I was reading today's san pedro daily
And there is a story regarding election day. I am flying into san pedro on 2/7/08(election day) and I'm wondering what to expect of the election. I read that the police will stop the sale of liquour which concerns me some, cause after a long flight, it would be nice to have a cold beer. Also wondering if there is anything else I should be aware of. Is there a lot of political tension in belize now? I'd guess even if there was that AC would be pretty laid back about it. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

I hope everyone's having a wonderful day - I know mined be better if I was in AC.

#263445 - 01/18/08 10:29 AM Re: Election day ??? [Re: godinski]
Amanda Syme Offline
I wouldn't worry about arriving on election day. For the most part it should be peaceful and exciting. There will definitely be small pockets of more heated groups of supporters, mainly limited to party headquarters and town halls etc.

I believe the ban on liquor sales in only during the hours that the polling stations are open. They usually open from around 8 am through 6 pm (I'll see if I can find out.) So technically you can probably get an evening cocktail. If you drink liquor maybe you should buy a bottle in the duty free shops and then you can definitely buy mixers here in Belize.

Also some of the resorts that have private bars may be able to sell you drinks if you are discrete.

There are few voters in Belize so the results usually come in during the night. Everything should be over by morning and folks will get back to the business of making money and serving our visitors.

#264573 - 01/26/08 07:33 PM Re: Election day ??? [Re: Amanda Syme]
BrusselSprout Offline
I've heard no liquor all day...until midnight...

#264576 - 01/26/08 10:45 PM Re: Election day ??? [Re: BrusselSprout]
SP Daily Offline
Usually till 6PM..

#264637 - 01/27/08 05:15 PM Re: Election day ??? [Re: SP Daily]
Mikeywaz Offline
Would a liquor ban also affect the day trip boats? Would hate to go snorkeling without some rum punch! :-)

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (3 invisible), 40 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,638 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,738 Topics
461,312 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.