Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#263489 - 01/19/08 12:37 AM Obtaining private loan on land in Belize
FEEDthePOOR Offline
Hello:

If I do not live in Belize and want to obtain a private loan from a friend using a piece of property that is in my name and on Ambergris Caye then how do I do this?

I would like to be steered to some forms that I can download and use that would assure my friend that he can take title to my property if I fail to pay him back for the loan he extends to me.

I would like to get this money for someone who is in need and whom I would like to help at this time. I have a very wealthy friend who has a good heart and I am sure he would give me a loan if I asked him. But I have my heart set on obtaining some forms so I can assure him he can have the property if I do not pay him back.

I am wondering if I have to go through a law firm in Belize to do this or if there are some other forms I can either write up or download that would give my friend the authority to get the title to my property if I fail to pay him back.

Please, I need some objective advice and preferably not advice from a law firm in Belize since they will tell me that I have to go through them I am sure.

FEEDthePOOR

P.S. Remember, I am living in Canada and my friend is in Canada but the land is in Belize.

#263511 - 01/19/08 05:55 AM Re: Obtaining private loan on land in Belize [Re: FEEDthePOOR]
Belize-N-Us Offline
If you have the land free and clear / land registered in your name with the government, then all you will need to do is file a caution agreement on the property. The caution agreement will stipulate that your lending friend has an interest in the property. Once you pay him back you have the caution agreement removed from the property.

Claudio Azueta is a paralegal in San Pedro at South Wind properties. He can handle this for you with little cost.

Thomas Blackledge

#263518 - 01/19/08 02:23 PM Re: Obtaining private loan on land in Belize [Re: Belize-N-Us]
Amanda Syme Offline
Cautions only work on one title system. If the land is owned by any document other than a Land Certificate (1 page) then the only way for your friend to be fully protected is by entering into a mortgage agreement which is registered at the lands department.

#263526 - 01/19/08 03:10 PM Re: Obtaining private loan on land in Belize [Re: Amanda Syme]
Belize-N-Us Offline
That's what I ment by "land free and clear".

#263527 - 01/19/08 03:12 PM Re: Obtaining private loan on land in Belize [Re: Belize-N-Us]
Belize-N-Us Offline
"Free" = free of any leins or claims. "Clear" = clear title in hand.

#263558 - 01/19/08 09:01 PM Re: Obtaining private loan on land in Belize [Re: Belize-N-Us]
belizelaw Offline
I don't know about Belize, but that's not what Free and Clear Title means in the common law systems I'm aware of. Feed the Poor, you can either pay a lawyer down in Belize to do it, or do it yourself based on all the inconsistent advice here. Maybe you, your friend, or both of you will get messed up in the process--but hey, at least you saved a fee.

#263562 - 01/19/08 09:17 PM Re: Obtaining private loan on land in Belize [Re: belizelaw]
Sir Isaac Newton Offline
I'm not aware of any forms you can download, perhaps. But, it is definitely something you can legally arrange, protecting all parties, with a lawyer or para legal service. In my limited experience the para legals seem to be a bit more efficient. IMHO

SIN

#265494 - 02/01/08 06:56 AM Re: Obtaining private loan on land in Belize [Re: Sir Isaac Newton]
FEEDthePOOR Offline
I want to thank everyone who contributed with your valuable advice,especially Thomas who seems to have pinpointed someone who is reasonably economical.

Charity extended to all, FEEDthePOOR

#265515 - 02/01/08 03:37 PM Re: Obtaining private loan on land in Belize [Re: FEEDthePOOR]
captjeff Offline
He who is there own lawyer has a fool as a client.Do it right, sleep at night..Two sayings for keeping friends,friends when giving money to them!!!!

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (dabunk), 33 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,015 Topics
462,195 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.