Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
An 8 wgt saltwater rig does the job for all the fish here, even the baby tarpon, just don't let Sunset Grill catch you. Practice your distance and accuracy and a 40 foot cast will seem like nothing in the 15 knot wind.

A fish on my fly is worth two swimming by.
K
K
Ibrian: You're not getting misinfo, just generic info. The bonefish and permit here are smaller than in the Yucatan, and way smaller than Florida or the Bahamas. A 10wt is a go to rod for the latter two destinations. Despite the hype I think bonefish around AC average less than 2# and the permit about 5#. They make up for that in sheer numbers.

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
krehfish - sounds like the 6-7 wt is going to get a workout.

Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.
H
OP Offline
H
So I have the fly rod, size 8 and also have leaders. Now what a good choice for flys?

K
K
Gotchas and crazy charlies, tans and pinks with lots of flash, sizes 8, 6, and 4.

Check My Avatar picture for a 'pink charlie'

I'll be happy to discuss my avatar with anyone who knows what it is.
Back at home, here's the report: The 6-7 rod with 6# line & 4x tippet was major league fun with the bones. Didn't get to fish as much as I wanted, but hooked six and landed(and released) 4 in the 1 -1 1/2 pound size. First one hooked broke me off - put the brakes on a little soon. The rest ran my backing down quite a ways. Not much drag on a 6# rated fresh water reel. Last one ran at me too fast to keep tension on the line - couldn't reel fast enough, and it spit the fly at my feet.
Lots of fun just wading the windward side of the island. Crazy Charlie pink/white/flash shrimp pattern caught all the fish.
Thanks to all for your advice.

K
K
ATTABOY- good catchin

Great fishing, ibbrian! I think my wife and I talked to you on the beach and you definitely looked like you were having fun. Nothing better than a day strolling the beach with a fly rod in your hand.

A fish on my fly is worth two swimming by.
Yes, it was FUN. Even losing a couple of flys to the local barracuda population was a tolerable experience.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.