Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#264824 01/29/08 07:33 AM
OP Offline
Last night's channel Seven News -

Report: GOB Selling Cangrejo Caye

Regardless of who wins the upcoming general elections, there are gonna be changes - and it seems the awareness of that is the single unifying force that's pushing some questionable deals to get made. And prominent among those is one we heard of today. 7NEWS has received credible reports from multiple sources which say that government has finalized a deal to sell Cangrejo Caye to a well connected local developer.

The full details are not known - but we do know that Cangrejo Caye, which sits just southwest of San Pedro Town has been the subject of much scrutiny for some time. Island leaders and residents don't want it sold - but reports to us say that it is on the block; the documents are in the mapping section at the Ministry of Natural Resources and the transaction is expected to be final by the end of the week. Cangrejo Caye is one of the larger islands in that area and is considered to be an important habitat for wildlife.

is there anything we, as non-residents, can do? (or was this intended for residents?)

signing the petition against the chalillo dam years ago didn't accomplish anything...

any suggestions?

K
K
This is really a shame. Cangrejo is a great fishery, and tarpon nursery. It's heavily fished by SP guides, and if they(and the resorts that use them) don't object, something is wrong.

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
Do we know who the developer is?

At what age is it determined I am old enough to know better?
Where is it located? SW of town is our territory! Thanks.

The article in the San Pedro Daily states that it is being sold to "a well connected local developer".

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
OP Offline
Cangrejo Cays is a sizeable caye - about 1.75 miles long, located about 1.5 miles from of AC. It is the first caye of that size south and slightly west of the southern tipof Ambergris Caye. You fly over it when you land in SP.

I just wrote to my favorite guide there and expressed my concern over the inevitable loss of that fishery. Aught'a be a law.

I'll be happy to discuss my avatar with anyone who knows what it is.
S
S
Originally Posted by Don Greife
Aught'a be a law.

There is!!!

HUM ????

I'll be happy to discuss my avatar with anyone who knows what it is.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 250 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.