Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#264918 - 01/29/08 09:33 PM Location Decided - Now need help with the rest...
merc Offline
With the help of all you fantastic folks, we have finally decided to stay at our choice south of SP. Now, I am looking for help/suggestions on the rest of our stay.

We will be in a private home located on the beach, with a pier, about 3.5 miles south of SP. The home comes with 4 beach cruiser bikes free to use. Our kids are 13 and 14 years old and love to do stuff outside which involve nature and physical exertion. My wife is a bug magnet but they don't usually bother the rest of us very much. We love the beach, swimming, snorkeling and just about anything involving the water. I was certified back in the 70s and although my wife never has been certified, she has been diving with me, and a dive master, in Cairn, the Bahamas and several other Caribean locations including a cave dive. My kids have never been diving but are excellent swimmers and snorkelers. We've been living outside of Houston for 25 years so we are all pretty used to hot and humid... at least as used to it as anyone can get.

Here is what we are thinking we'd like to do during our stay on AC.
- Dive the reef
- Snorkel ho chan(hope I got that name right?)
- Go Fishing, deep sea I guess since we don't fly fish
- Do the zip line, cave tube thing
- Visit one of the rainforest Mayan Ruins
- Cook what we catch(fish or lobsters)with locally purchased veggies and ingredients
- Sample the local cuisine(find where the locals eat and eat there too)
- Sample some live music and Belikins.
- Let the girls shop while my son grabs a fruit juice and I down a beer/Belikin... or two.
- Become one with AC.

What suggestions do you all have with regards to our trip and doing what we like to do.

#264987 - 01/30/08 04:55 AM Re: Location Decided - Now need help with the rest... [Re: merc]
cakelee Offline
Sounds like a great plan, but don't get too tied to making plans. Sometimes time seems to slip away, and you end up spending much more time than you anticipate just sitting in a chair enjoying the scenery!

An idea that may occupy the kids and adults both: bowling at Fido's Sandbar. It may be the furthest bar/restaurant south (about 2 miles S of town?). It has 2 bowling lanes right on the beach. After you order, the kids can bowl a few rounds. It is not necessarily what I call local cuisine, but they tend to have a decent selection on the menu, a weekend barbeque and great drinks. And, there is a pool to cool of in if you get hot. We enjoy it. Check out Fido's in town for live music and a place to hang out while the girls shop.

I think the reef fishing is popular, and it seems like that is the place for snapper, etc, that you would cook yourself. The guide usually cuts the fish up, and you can either buy the cooking ingredients yourself or contact Simon on this board to deliver them before you arrive (and have the beer in the fridge and cold for you upon arrival).

Definitely do Hol Chan. We use Suya, a tour company located about 2.5 miles south. If possible, try to schedule a morning when the fishermen are out. We spent a whole morning (when we only paid for a 2-hr snorkel) tied to a fishing boat that was cleaning their catch and throwing the scraps in the water. We swam with more nurse sharks and sting rays than we could count, plus a huge sea turtle!

I can't comment on the ruins/zip line/cave tubing, as we have yet to make it off of the island!

For local cuisine and seafood cooked lots of ways, go to The Reef Restaurant. For the kids, all the pizza we've had has been good. Everyone has their favorites, but Caramba's, El Patio, Caliente and Mangos are all good for burritos, seafood, chicken, etc. for either lunch or dinner.

#264994 - 01/30/08 05:00 AM Re: Location Decided - Now need help with the rest... [Re: cakelee]
travelqueen Offline
she said, "ho"... he he he, it's "hol"

merc, I'm from the Houston area too - you'll love SP!!!

#265049 - 01/30/08 03:47 PM Re: Location Decided - Now need help with the rest... [Re: travelqueen]
Amanda Syme Offline
cakelee has some great suggestions. My kids love the zip lining/cave tubing adventure - well worth the trip. In one day you should be able to incorporate these activities along with a trip to the Belize Zoo (on the way to the caves.)

The south can be buggy so the wife should try and stay indoors during sun up and sun down - and probably use some bug protection most of the time.

The reef fishing will be the most rewarding and value for your money if you are not avid fishermen. And you can eat what you catch.

Don't miss Hol Chan.

Shopping in San Pedro is fun - the ladies are bound to find some great souvenirs and gifts.

You have a great attitude - you are going to fit right in and have a blast!

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (lomckenna, Marty), 22 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,023 Topics
462,214 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.