Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#264935 - 01/29/08 05:31 PM South Beach Belize - monster development
pedro2
For anyone who doesn't know, this is a massive development across the south end of Ambergris Caye that according to their website (http://www.southbeachbelize.com/index.php) is already approved and will definitely happen.

As many have observed already, it is essentially a recreation of Miami South Beach on a smaller scale. It will not just change Ambergris Caye, it will totally subsume it, or at any rate the southern part. And clearly it will be an ecological disaster. The most dramatic example of "killing the goose that lays the golden egg".

A local person, unnamed, lists himself as the contact point, number 226-2769. Does anyone have any idea who this person might be?

And since money is behind most of what happens here, who expects to make their millions from this project? Assuming the government does actually change in the election, it seem that stopping this and the bird caye developments is of the highest priority. Otherwise we can expect the whole island to become like Cancun, with a dead reef just offshore.

The cynical self-interest of the people who have managed to gain political control is mind-boggling.

#264937 - 01/29/08 06:02 PM Re: South Beach Belize - monster development [Re: ]
Loansum-Al K Offline
I think it's the same developer from Reef Village.

#264938 - 01/29/08 06:08 PM Re: South Beach Belize - monster development [Re: ]
Loansum-Al K Offline
pedro2, just call the number and maybe you will find out!!

#264939 - 01/29/08 06:19 PM Re: South Beach Belize - monster development [Re: Loansum-Al K]
sunandsand Offline
I know it's the developer from Reef Village. He sent me the preliminary drawings, asking for investors. The Mayoress has approved this, as has Musa, so what can we do now? Just stand by and watch it happen?

#264940 - 01/29/08 06:19 PM Re: South Beach Belize - monster development [Re: Loansum-Al K]
pamkillen Offline
I have heard that it is the same developer

#264942 - 01/29/08 06:56 PM Re: South Beach Belize - monster development [Re: pamkillen]
lakegirl Offline
That's to bad. I know most of the reason we come to AC is that it is still laid back and not built up.

It makes us very sad that we will lose more of the "old" AC.

#264946 - 01/29/08 07:25 PM Re: South Beach Belize - monster development [Re: lakegirl]
sweetjane Offline
please see 'green reef' thread for more info on this. thx.

#264985 - 01/29/08 10:51 PM Re: South Beach Belize - monster development [Re: sweetjane]
belizeonthebeach Offline

#265019 - 01/30/08 01:15 AM Re: South Beach Belize - monster development [Re: belizeonthebeach]
hollandboy Offline
I wouldn't worry too much about this. The bottomline is that the international airport arrivels combined with the border arrivels will not support an investment like this. Investors would be foolish to even think about a project like this, unless they don't care loosing a lot of dough....
Just my 2 cents.

#265062 - 01/30/08 10:49 AM Re: South Beach Belize - monster development [Re: hollandboy]
Barbara K Offline
In the past I would have said don't worry about this ever happening either. Used to be the lack of infrastructure & general Belize disorganization kept pipe dreams like this from ever becoming reality. Not so anymore. Look at Placencia....way less infrastructure and tremendous building and huge resort complexes in progress. The chain hotels will be coming too. Bet on it.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
More News...
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
SanPedroScoop

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Belize Hub
Tacogirl
Belize Adventure
Romantic Travel
Building a New Life
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Snorkel from the beach at Tranquility Bay Resort - Belize Snorkeling - Belize Dive Resort
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Black Orchid Restaurant & Lounge, Our mission is To Provide each and every Guest with a Pleasant Dining Experienceg
Mini Chat

Low Air Fares
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Click to see information on The Blue Hole Skydive Adventure in Belize
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
6 registered (cracked up, shiwa, mawags, 3 invisible), 82 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
17556 Members
44 Forums
58010 Topics
445614 Posts

Max Online: 1262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.