Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#265202 - 01/30/08 04:21 PM Laptops for Children Program
Don Greife Offline
The SP Daily said the PUP was going to start a program which would place a new laptop in the hands of school children. I wonder if this program is the same one that some guy in the US has started for kids throught the world. He makes them available to various governmemts for about $100 each for distribution to schools.
I'll be happy to discuss my avatar with anyone who knows what it is.

#265274 - 01/30/08 08:40 PM Re: Laptops for Children Program [Re: Don Greife]
SimonB Offline
One and the same.

#265321 - 01/31/08 07:57 AM Re: Laptops for Children Program [Re: SimonB]
dabunk Offline
Not the same program. Channel 7 news showed the laptops, they are the eeePC laptops. They are a nice little laptop different from the others. But the eeePC retails for 400 US each. Google eeePC and look at one.

#265327 - 01/31/08 09:21 AM Re: Laptops for Children Program [Re: dabunk]
SimonB Offline
I stand corrected, it looked from the pictures that they were the same units.

#265345 - 01/31/08 09:51 AM Re: Laptops for Children Program [Re: SimonB]
dabunk Offline
But they are much better laptops if they re going to buy them. eeePC comes with Linux instaled but windows can be installed. The One PC per child program only allowed Linux to be loaded. It also looks from what I have been reading that the one pc per child program is dying, laptops never reach the kids or as soon as they are given are taken away and sold. Sad stories.

#265390 - 01/31/08 01:20 PM Re: Laptops for Children Program [Re: dabunk]
Amanda Syme Offline
These days kids need to have computer skills, no matter what they do for a living. You need to type up resumes, do research on the internet etc. etc. I hope this project takes off.

If only we could figure out how to have btl offer AFFORDABLE internet. I have a few kids that I keep supplied in 2nd hand computers, ipods etc, but I just can't afford to pay for them to have internet access - other than paying for a few hours for homework each week at one of the internet cafes.

Maybe when all of the primary school kids have internet we can setup some wireless hotspots and share the btl cost.

#265394 - 01/31/08 01:31 PM Re: Laptops for Children Program [Re: Amanda Syme]
Sir Isaac Newton Offline
What a great start!

Sacred Heart in Cayo has wireless, free I guess, my daughter uses it A LOT! (so do I when in town)
Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net

#265395 - 01/31/08 01:32 PM Re: Laptops for Children Program [Re: Amanda Syme]
denverdan Offline
If the High School can get the second computer lab up and running would there be a way for all the kids on island to go there for an after school type program?

#265397 - 01/31/08 01:37 PM Re: Laptops for Children Program [Re: denverdan]
dabunk Offline
What happened to the promise during the last election to have internet in every school in Belize? Now it is free laptops?

#265398 - 01/31/08 01:38 PM Re: Laptops for Children Program [Re: dabunk]
Sir Isaac Newton Offline
um....promise is comfort to a fool.
Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,632 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,697 Topics
461,210 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.